Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Chevrolet Corvette: Seven Things You Don't Know About the C7

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette: Seven Things You Don't Know About the C7

Edmunds' behind-the-scenes look at the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7, including intimate details about Corvette C7 tires, handling, interior, and performance.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Detroit is a glimpse of America's future. That said, the C7 is looking nice and is one of the few things still made in the USA. Sad, isn't it? Selecting the 911 Carrera S as a benchmark was a smart decision.
  • Options
    olyeller_olyeller_ Member Posts: 4
    "GM's 911 Carrera S is fitted with a PDK transmission".........que'?
  • Options
    smudge12smudge12 Member Posts: 19
    @olyeller

It's meant to show GM owns the vehicle, not that it was manufactured by them. Like if you bought a Civic, we'd say "olyeller's Civic..."

I wish I could afford the C7. Such an awesome car...truly America's sports car.
  • Options
    wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    I wouldn't consider it accurate to say the Packard plant is "rapidly" deteriorating since it has been closed and largely vacant since the 1950's ..... but anyway, it is in a dangerous state of deterioration.

I just saw a black C7 with the saddle interior on the freeway on the way to work this morning and it looked awesome! It didn't have manufacturer plates, so is the C7 now for sale to the public? Also, i saw another one last week with manufacturer plates that was this same beautiful blue color .... love it!
  • Options
    rasguetano1_rasguetano1_ Member Posts: 6
    As much as I like the C7 how the hell is it a great hope for Detroit? its built in Kentucky and even with the lower price than the 911 only well to do people are going to be able to afford it. It does not change the average persons life one bit.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    " It does not change the average persons life one bit." ---- It makes me smile and I think I'm average.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    It's becoming a great rivalry between Corvette and 911, two cars I most admire!
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I'm a hardcore Porschephile that respects Corvette but normally doesn't give it a second look. However, other than the odd tail lamp treatment, I really like what I see. I can't wait to drive one.

Competition only improves the breed and makes for better choices for all of us.
  • Options
    rasguetano1_rasguetano1_ Member Posts: 6
    The C7 makes me smile too but to say "possibly the greatest sign of hope the city has seen in years" ? I wonder if who ever wrote the article also owns a "life is good" T-shirt with the cronic employment problems this country faces.
  • Options
    lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    I would take the Vette hands down for its performance for the price. The Porsche still has a vastly better interior, and better transmission.
  • Options
    mptlptrmptlptr Member Posts: 17
    One seemingly little thing that GM could do to vastly improve the image of the Corvette is to dump the option of chrome wheels. Unfortunately, this will likely never happen since the typical Corvette buyer is gladly paying a whopping $2000 to make their wheels look tacky and heavier and GM is laughing all the way to the bank. Something like 70% of C6s were equipped with chrome wheels -- what a travesty.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    I don't see chrome wheels in the photos, thank goodness, so why bother to remind us they exist? At least Corvette owners have a reputation for being good-natured real people who've earned their toy. I will gladly overlook bad taste, because personality goes a long way!
  • Options
    wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    rasguetano1, how is "chronic employment" a "problem"? Sounds like a problem I'd like to have!
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I think the first owners will get a lot of attention. eventually when the car is more commonly seen that will wane. I know a lot of people dislike the Vette because it is "common", but if it is, it is because it is more affordable than the more luxurious 911s and exotics. I'm a value kind of guy, and the C7 is very appealing (I agree with the comment about the ugly tail lights, though).
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Oh, unless it is grabbing people into the showrooms as a halo car for those that will buy Malibus and Cruzes, I don't see how it will save Detroit. It certainly is going to help keep Bowling Green in the green, though.
  • Options
    empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    The Porsche looks $60k more expensive, inside and out. You get what you pay for! The Vette looks downright childish in design and style.
  • Options
    farvy_farvy_ Member Posts: 9
    I live about 7 miles north of GM's Tech Center here in Metro Detroit. I drive past it on Mound Road every day on my way to work. Saw two C7's with manufacturer's plates earlier this week around 5:30am on my way to work. Looks sharp!
  • Options
    unionbusterunionbuster Member Posts: 42
    I do hope that GM offers a Chapter 9 Commemorative Edition.
  • Options
    max_stirlingmax_stirling Member Posts: 4
    As someone who currently owns a Porsche (Cayenne Turbo), I disagree with the comment that the 911 looks $60K better than the C7. Does the 911 look better? This is subjective, but I think it does. Does the 911 user better materials and is engineered a little tighter? I can't say without having sat in and drive both vehicles back to back, but having driven both previous gen models, I would say that the 911 is a noticeably nicer. Altogether, the 911 is nicer in many ways but not $60K nicer. In addition, the 911 is going to cost a lot more to maintain, repair and own.

The 911 might be consider a bargain compared to a Ferrari, but seems overpriced compared to a Corvette or GTR. For the price of a 911 Carrera S, one can get the C7 and a Cadillac CTS-V.
  • Options
    kolyan2kkolyan2k Member Posts: 0
    @ empoweredbc

pretty stupid comment as you can see by number of dislikes :)