Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray on Route 66

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray on Route 66

Forty years after their first Route 66 Corvette tour, a writer and his friend reflect on the changes to the iconic road and the great American sports car.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Thanks for the story, Chuck, made even more interesting by the comparison to the old trip. That 1923 Journal would make a great book or at least follow-up article. How conspicuous did you feel in a yellow Vette?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Like many Americans this is on my bucket list. growing up in the Chicago area with relatives down near Springfield and Jacksonville, IL, my family traveled the Illinois portions many in the days before I-55 was completed. I have a very good friend who relocated to Albuquerque last Spring. The two of us drove his stuff from Chicago there in May 2013, unfortunately time didn't allow us to divert off of the highway. I hope to drive my '72 MGB-GT or my motorcycle down there early next year. But this time it will be the Rt 66 trip all the way.
  • lincolnman3lincolnman3 Member Posts: 0
    Great article - glad to see the Mother Road is still going strong.
  • dannydouglasdannydouglas Member Posts: 1
    Sadly, I read about McLean, Texas, once again. I say sadly because it surely is a state of affairs that puts me in the dumps. Born and rasied there. A member of the McLean school system for 12 years, along with my 44 or so fellow graduates of 1959, I didnt know just how well we had it then. The crimes were high schoolers going over to Shamrock to pick up 3 point 2 beer. McLeans county district was, and still is dry. I.E. no alchol sold. I do not remember even one murder there. We had a few outsiders try to rob a place now and then, thanks to being on the mother road, where they thought they coulld easily get away.

Toward the end, the city council managed to get a underwear factory there, where most all the high school girls worked summers, and part time. It too went away, because of the lack of emloyees. That was about it, back then. Oh, yes we had about 22 service stations and 5 restaurants in the early to mid 50s, but then those all went away too, thanks to Interstate 40. Oil fields started drying up, cotton fields, along with two cotten gins went away, and today, our population of 1500 back in the 50s, has become less than half of that, most all of them being in the 60s or above. I too, along with most of our class mates went away. We try to come back ocassionally, but there is no family there for me, and certainly not much else to do when there. Keep on writing folks. Keep on visiting. Take a look at small town America on the mother road, and enjoy what you can, while it is still there.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Great article. I think I live in the Great Road Epicenter in Azusa, where Glendora Mountain Road and Route 66 meet. Classic American Roadtrip meets great driver's road.