Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

10 Used Cars You Should Probably Own

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

image10 Used Cars You Should Probably Own

Edmunds' list of the 10 best cost-protected enthusiast cars.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    With the NSX, you want the 1997-2001 NSX manual, because you're a man! They upped power to 290HP, added a 6th gear and re-did the ratios, stiffened the chassis and added aluminum to cut weight. In 2002, it jumped the shark with fixed headlights. Funk that %$#@!
  • protardprotard Member Posts: 2
    The Porsche 996 is significantly *lighter* than the 993, not the other way around.

People forget this because the 996 got a little bigger.
  • 06sti06sti Member Posts: 17
    Good list. I'm approached regularly by people wanting to buy my STI, and I have little doubt that the '04-'07's will be highly sought after in the future (particularly the '04's). If you're not in a big hurry the current generation of Ford Mustangs will probably be viewed desirably in another 25yrs. Would also add the current M3 to that list since it'll be the only V8-powered model in the lineage.
  • karbuffkarbuff Member Posts: 34
    An un-modified last generation mkIV Supra Turbo has always been on my personal wash bucket list. 93-2002 Made when Toyota's were really bullet proof. Gotta have 3 pedals. Good ones still over 25K though.

No unintended Toyota BS accelerating you into a wall like you get these days.

Nice list though.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Pretty good list as some of these cars really do have glacial depreciation rates. NSX prices have actually been creeping up over the last few years so if you want one, you've got to get it now.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I loved my '87 535i. The M5 version has long been on my list of cars I would like to own.
  • aston_dbsaston_dbs Member Posts: 19
    I remember clearly of that handsome E500.
    My, I guess I'm older than what I would like to be ;-)

Honda has 2 cars in this line up?
    I remember those days as well... I hope they don't lose their way for many years to come (and not turning into Toyota or something worse...)
  • subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    I would recommend a 2005 STi over a 2004 one. It has the following improvements: 8-inch wide rear wheels, helical front LSD, refreshed dashboard/center stack/center console. I'm surprised the USDM MY2002 WRX wasn't on this list instead as that really opened the door for a new crop of turbocharged sport compacts.
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    It's not on the list, but I always thought that the BMW 8-Series Coupe was a special car (more of a luxury GT than a sports car). I always stare when I see one. Such elegant lines.....
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Interesting list--the Mercedes I would not have thought of on my own. I think you could probably add limited-production cars to this list if you don't overpay initially. e.g., any specialty Mustang like the Boss 302, a F150 Lightning, etc. (no particular reason for thinking of Fords). I'm not sure if the SRT8 model Chrysler/Dodges would fit the bill. Based on the "old" long-term cars chosen by Edmunds in the past, certainly some Corvettes should be included. Maybe a Miata, and an Integra too for cheaper cars. The earlier mention of a Supra seems like an excellent choice.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    Not that I'm a fanboy because I do like the sti as well, but I'm surprised it made the list over the evo as I see a ton more sti's than evos.

I would also consider adding the pontiac g8 ?gxp? to this list, they seem to be holding their values pretty well and certainly look like a nice blend of comfort and performance.

Also, not a sports car but for the v-12 biturbo alone the an early 2000's S600 should be on here, you can get them for a steal compared to their original msrp, just hope nothing goes wrong with it
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @evodad: Upkeep on those V-12s will eat your wallet alive. High consumption, those large engine will turn even small jobs into expensive ones (see how much oil it wants on every change, changing spark plugs, injectors), replacement cost of parts is high,
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    If you're looking for a BMW M5 why not get a slightly more modern one in the form of the E39 that sold from 2000 to '03. They've depreciated a ton, especially when the E60 with its V10 engine came out, but if you buy one now you're looking at close to zero depreciation as long as you maintain it. Even a 540 from the same generation is a fine car, with more power than most people know how to use.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I bitterly regret selling my 1988 M6, and I WILL have an E28 M5 someday. I've considered buying an E39 M5 more than once, but I'm a sucker for the S38 inline six and the tail-happy character of the E28 platform. If I was looking for a BMW V8 it would be an E92 M3.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    The G8 is an intriguing suggestion. Even though it was a Holden rebadged as a Pontiac, it was still a GM Zeta platform with standard corporate engines so I figure most mechanical parts won't be too hard to come by. The NSX would be my pick of this list. I had no idea S2000 prices were still at that level. Cool.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    One used car I've been interested in is the Toyota MR2. I really know nothing about them though, just that they look pretty cool and the idea of a midengine Toyota sports car is really intriguing. Thoughts?