Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The 17 Best Cars You Can Buy

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageThe 17 Best Cars You Can Buy

What is the best car you can buy in every segment? These are the vehicles we'd buy for ourselves.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Ferrari FF? You guys were so well reasoned in the "10 Worst Cars" piece, then you waste all the good will with this one.
    I should have added: The Audi S7 is the best hatchback.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    Altima? Really? Give me a Fusion, Accord, Mazda6, or Optima over the Altima any day.
  • lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    While I don't completely disagree with every model on this list, I can see that reliability, fuel economy, and safety which is three top concerns for consumers was not a factor on Edmunds.com selections.

The Mini Cooper is fun to drive; however, there are others such as the Spark RS and Fiesta ST, which 3 other mags agree are better than BMW's little car.

The FF as the best hatch? Seriously? I get the Corvette because of what you get for the money, the Altima, though not my choice does make some sense.
  • cotakcotak Member Posts: 89
    Ugh this list about the best car is one of the not so great list you guys have ever done.

FF as a hatchback. Come again? In what ways beside having a hatch does it work as a hatchback? Can you shove a dresser in it like most other hatcbacks? No. Come on guys what the heck is it?
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    I was certain that the new SRT Viper would have been nominated for "Best Car With an Internal Combustion Engine"......just kidding.....but it would have been nice to see the new Viper on the list :-)
    @Lions: right now the Fiesta ST is only just being introduced to America. next year it might be better than the Mini, but today it's just an upcoming attraction.
  • What? The Altima is the best mid-size sedan. NO ONE else in the Automotive community thinks so.

I will post this article in mid-size sedans 2.0 forum so you can expect
    more similar comments. The best mid size sedan is currently the Mazda 6, with the Accord second, Fusion third, Sonata 4th, and Altima a distant fifth, one point ahead of the Optima.
  • lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    @bankerdanny- true the Fiesta ST has not been out on the market that long; however, since I recently test drove one and compared it against the 2013 Mini, I would say that though the Mini had the better chassis, the ST had no lag, and a better over all ri
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I wondered whether I should take this list seriously after reading about the Mini Cooper. I decided that this list was a joke after getting to the Ferrari FF.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    I wish Edmund's would have at least commented on how the 911 beats the Cayman especially since this year everyone is talking about how the Cayman everyone has/may have/ finally eclipsed the 911. In-fact, Edmund's posted and article about it!!

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/10-ways-the-2014-porsche-cayman-is-better-than-the-911.html

did Edmunds forget this article..or change their minds??? sorry please explain. Thank You
  • ctizzlectizzle Member Posts: 0
    Really?!?! The Altima is the best midsizer?!? Awesome motor, I'll give you that, but that's ALL I can give it.

I was recently in the market for a midsizer, and generally liked it, but the DEAL-BREAKER was how the headlights meet the fender/hood at this awkward 90-degree angle...looks absolutely ridiculous!!! I wish they would inject a lil more "boy racer" into it...like the Early 2000's Altimas
  • 4matthewsfx4matthewsfx Member Posts: 2
    Good choices here. I woulda personally picked F-150 for best pickup, being the owner of an 11 Ecoboost FX-4 Supercrew, that has remained flawless after 57k hard towing, hauling and interstate miles. Also, Ferarri FF for best hatchback?? Really guys? I mean I respect you guys, but NO one is going to say "HMMM, Mazda 3, Ford Focus, or Ferarri FF. This should have been broken up into its own category, for obvious reasons. Nonetheless, you guys are great!!
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I agree with others here that the Altima is a strange pick for best mid-size sedan. I've driven both it and the Fusion several times and would pick the Fusion, hands-down. The Mazda 6 I haven't driven yet, though its specs look fine on paper and the vehicle looks darn fine in the showroom.
  • gofortheneckgofortheneck Member Posts: 42
    It's sooOOOOoooo easy to pick the best cars ..... why don't you do something harder and pick the "best value" in each category?

PS: Yikes .... I'm only the SECOND comment? You Edmunds editor take note: you are BORING your fans. If I had any kind of life I'd never visit your site again.
  • sammysocalsammysocal Member Posts: 2
    Have you test driven the 2013 Altima? Really? I myself was skeptical about the altima until I sat in one and drove it. I was pretty damn impressed. A fine car with effortless high revving refined throttle response, 38 mpg, and comfortable seating. It isn't that much of a looker but there's uglier out there. Oh and that was just the 4 cylinder model. I can't imagine what their V6 is like. It's one of the best.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    i agree the altima is my last choice pick for this segment! my first choice teeters between the camry and the malibu on any given day (considering i want the powerful v6 or turbo engines not the 'gas saver special entry level models)
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    The Altima body feels like a tin can, the thinnest feeling metal I have ever felt on a car.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Can't argue with this list except with the Altima. Altima hasn't proven to be the best in it's class.
  • sj1417_sj1417_ Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds has been drooling over the Altima ever since they got that so-called 39 mpg (that virtually no one else got near in achieving in any of their tests). Regardless of how lousy the rest of the car is, they just couldn't get over it. There is absolutely no way this is the best midsize car.
  • alex_remsenalex_remsen Member Posts: 1
    smells like sponsored article to me this one
  • leniboyleniboy Member Posts: 1
    This article should be renamed " 17 most recalled brands that we got paid to market as the best cars to buy".
    This article is insult to your readers.
    At least add paid advertisement or something.
  • 41mortimer41mortimer Member Posts: 1
    The choice of the Focus is laughable. I have driven comparably equipped, current-generation models of both the Focus and the Cruze. (Actually, to be honest, the Focus I drove was a slightly higher-end SE, while the Cruze was a base LS.) The Focus had a somewhat sluggish engine, mediocre handling, a harsh ride, and a notchy five-speed shifter that looked and felt like it came straight out of 1995. The Cruze had a fun and peppy engine, good handling, an amazingly smooth ride, and a slick-shifting six-speed that was more than happy to accomodate my enthusiastic driving. Add to that the fact that the Cruze is a far better-looking car, and I'll take the Cruze without hesitation.
  • sharpshootistsharpshootist Member Posts: 1
    Really...the Nissan Altima and Honda CRV. You must be recruiting writers from Consumer Reports.

Give me a 14 Mazda6 with a REAL 6 speed manual/automatic instead of the rubber-band tranny any day.

And the CRV is hysterical. Great vehicle if you want to blend in with the other granny's in town. The CX-5 has beaten it in every comparison test written by people who KNOW automobiles.
  • bgp001bgp001 Member Posts: 0
    @ bankerdanny

Best hatchback is an S7? Was your runner up the Fiat 500 Abarth Convertible?
  • robofmapleleafrobofmapleleaf Member Posts: 1
    James Riswick you are an idiot! Range Rovers, and Ram trucks are well known for being pieces of crap! Read your own magazine`s reliability reports. SURE, just like an Fiat, these vehicles run great for 20,000 miles, but then the become the garbage they were designed to be, just like Fiat, a rolling time bomb. You should be fired!