Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport Track Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Lexus

image2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport Track Test

Can the 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport back up its bold looks on the track? Find out in our latest track test.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    scorp76scorp76 Member Posts: 2
    Mediocre numbers, hideous car. No thanks.
  • Options
    widerisbetterwiderisbetter Member Posts: 3
    Damnit people, step away from the numbers for a second! I know that without driving the car all we have is numbers to compare, but read the driver comments for a real idea of how the car drives. Mike said this car had good transient balance, good rotational ability, great steering, and possibly most important of all for us "regular" enthusiast drivers, it's forgiving in its handling. All you numbers guys can sit around piss about 4 tenths of a second here, or 2mph there, and us guys who really enjoy driving will be out in cars like this that aren't about the numbers they produce, but the smiles.
  • Options
    russblackstrussblackst Member Posts: 2
    63k!
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Thanks, scorp76, I'll be sure to take your armchair opinion over that of the test driver who has actually driven the car and posted very complimentary descriptions about how it handles. This is higher praise than I've seen about the watered down steering of many new BMWs.
  • Options
    bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    well if you want a faster sedan in this price segment there is the SRT charger, bmw 3 series, and cadillac V, although there is nothing wrong with wanting an awesomely handling car with lots of luxury and tech 300 horsepower used to be mustang GT territory after all.
  • Options
    broq3_5broq3_5 Member Posts: 2
    The heavier, cheaper Lincoln MKZ out performs this car except for acceleration and get raked across the coals by this site. No mention of the Lexus' sport tires that were such a point of contention for the MKZ.
  • Options
    alsantoroalsantoro Member Posts: 1
    I actually had the opportunity to test drive this car on a track set up by Lexus a short time ago. It is really impressive. It is clear that Lexus has done its homework on improving the handling. On a course where their pro-driver's best was a 1:31, many were coming within 2-3 seconds without any real practice. The car was great at making "enthusiastic " drivers better drivers. In short, a great handling sedan with more than enough power. I would have to say the F-Sport lives up to the name.
  • Options
    rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    "You hear the word "Lexus" and driver involvement isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Reliability? Sure. Quality? OK. Fiscal responsibility? Absolutely. But performance? Not by a long shot." How soon have we already forgotten about Lexus' performance cars such the IF-S and LFA...They are just some of the most written and praised performance cars coming out of Japan...
  • Options
    rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    Wow, for $63K it should do better than what's post here especially braking.
  • Options
    perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Is $63K fiscally responsible? For a glorified Camry? Meh.
  • Options
    tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    It's certainly not a glorified Camry. I do think that it's within $5k of the price of the CTS-V, which is certainly another couple of steps up in performance.
  • Options
    tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    It's certainly not a glorified Camry. I do think that it's within $5k of the price of the CTS-V, which is certainly another couple of steps up in performance.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Seems interesting...

It would be more interesting if the engine were upgraded from the 2006 IS350 (on the posted output anyway); and maybe an 8 spd tranny.
  • Options
    stingray454stingray454 Member Posts: 3
    $63,500 is a lot of coin for a mediocre performer such as this. I mean it's only a hair quicker acceleration wise than a BMW 328 with a little turbo four banger, which also costs $20k less, and handles significantly better.

I also agree with broq3_5's comment about the MKZ. While the Super Sport tires did inflate the handling numbers on the MKZ, the tires didn't do EVERYTHING. The weak handling numbers on this Lexus prove that the MKZ's handling performance was far more than just the tires, as the Lexus was also riding on some rather sticky rubber.

At $63,500, you're in Cadillac CTS-V territory, and the CTS-V just flat out OWNS the Lexus. Think about it.
  • Options
    natnutnatnut Member Posts: 6
    BMW 328i handles significantly better??

Don't make me laugh. Edmunds tested the 328i with optional sports package and the 400-pound lighter 328i posted a slalom speed of 67.1, essentially the same as the heavier and bigger GS' 66.7.

You forgot to mention the BMW 535i, MB E350 and Audi A6 3.0T, which are all in the midsize luxury segment that the GS competes in and they are ALL more expensive than the GS and handle worse than the GS on the slalom.

The CTS-V is a sub-luxury car with interior quality and fitment, reliability and refinement that is significantly worse than that of a midsize luxury sport sedan. It competes solely on horsepower and handling. It doesn't compete in the same segment as the GS/5 series/E-class/A6/Infiniti M.
  • Options
    rowboat2rowboat2 Member Posts: 2
    The Lincoln is hideous inside and out and it's a ford.

Much better numbers and 10x better than the garbage coming out of BMW and MB these days. the new 5 series and E class make a 90's accord look like a beauty queen. the turbo 4's sound horrid as well in the new BMW.

atleast Lexus still knows how to make a 6 cylinder and make a proper n/a car.
  • Options
    rowboat2rowboat2 Member Posts: 2
    There's a reason why "american" luxury cars are second class citizens and even by pricing it dirt cheap, can't give them away.
  • Options
    coolb944coolb944 Member Posts: 0
    "friction-free steering, lightning turn-in, quick to set, rapid in transitions and plenty of forgiveness and adjustability mid-course"

Things I wasn't sure I'd ever hear about a Lexus. And things I didn't think wouldn't be associated with a BMW. My how the tides have changed.
  • Options
    ravencloud83ravencloud83 Member Posts: 1
    Dear brog3_5,

Your comment would have been valid except for the fact that the MKZ's tires used for Insideline's testing weren't the ones that are actually going to come with the car when you buy it. Therefore, the test wasn't a true representation of a factory showroom stock MKZ. Lincoln had outfitted the car with tires that you'd see on a Porsche GT3 or something rediculous which wasn't fair.
  • Options
    broq3_5broq3_5 Member Posts: 2
    @Ravencloud83- The tires are available in a package that costs only around $1500, says right there in the article. Also, you can add the "handling package" to any AWD MKZ on their website and it comes with more than just tires.

Maybe if edmu
  • Options
    myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    Fine for most buyers, but the grip is pretty low for a special sport version isn't it?

I also noticed it seemed to lean a bit more than I expected in videos and photos.

As for the power issue, I have had various BMW, Infiniti, and other sport sedans. I am mystified how anyone would safely be able to use more power than a 0-60mph time of 5.8 seconds provides on public roads (where 99% are used). My conclusion is more power is desired mostly for bragging rights and use by the irresponsible.
  • Options
    ydoobyydooby Member Posts: 1
    Those numbers are a far cry from Edmunds' test of the 2013 GS350 F-Sport done over a year ago, where the car posted a best-in-class slalom speed of 69.7mph and a decent lateral acceleration of 0.88g.

So what happened? Either Edmunds got a weak test driver recently or the car had been heavily abused, tires heavily worn out, during the 4000 miles of Edmunds' ownership?

Previous test by Edmunds:
    http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/2013/road-test.html
  • Options
    martin061680martin061680 Member Posts: 7
    Lexus, this car is as hideous! $63K for this with the 3.5 V6 from Camry? LOL Lexus!