Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Volkswagen Golf GTD Track Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

Comments

• itsmptitsmpt Member Posts: 2
    I happy to see that VW still continues to bring over diesel powered cars. Not sure how many diesels VW sells, but it must be enough to introduce this model. I hope other manufacturers realize there is a demand out there for diesels and introduce their own models.
  • rayzorrayzor Member Posts: 61
    put me down for one if the specs holds or get even better than this for the US model, especially if the mileage stay same or gets better. I think this is one of the future directions for hot hatches, power, performance and good fuel economy all roll in one. I want one, now!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    When is this car going to be available in the US? Will it also be available in a 4 door (5 door)?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• noflash1noflash1 Member Posts: 13
    Is this car now available in the US? Has the reporting gone downhill along with the website format?

nf
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    I miss Inside Line. :-(
  • itsmptitsmpt Member Posts: 2
    @sharpend

I do too. Sadly, this is what we have for now. I really don't understand the need to move Insideline to Edmunds. I know it's "free" and I can't complain too much, but it infuriates me that we went from Insideline to this mediocre,
  • lsiiilsiii Member Posts: 15
    I would be first in line if VW brought the GTD to the states!!
  • cz_75cz_75 Member Posts: 7
    Edmunds blows.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    the numbers on the engine sound bonkers but my stock honda fit(105hp) does 16 second flat 1/4 mile so "where is the beef?" i'm sure with this much torque the gtd could achieve triple digit speeds with ease and the gas milage is fantastic but for what i'm asuming as a 30k base price this car is not convincing me. oh what could-have been though =(
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Remember when these articles would get 80+ comments in a day? If the move was an attempt to drive more traffic, I'm thinking the data is working against that one.

Back on topic, I'd buy one of these. Near GTI performance (which was torquey for a hot hatch to begin with) with really good fuel economy would make for the best daily driver you could want.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    test
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    What is the turbodiesel hesitation off the line about? RPMs too low? Is the engine pleasing to rev, and how does it sound?
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Hmmm, thought I posted on this yesterday, but it didn't show up. Anyway, is there any reason to shift past 4,900 rpm? Would you miss the character of the gas turbo if you purchased this?