Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Mercedes-Benz G550 Track Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2013 Mercedes-Benz G550 Track Test

Is the 2013 Mercedes-Benz G550 a relic with fancy headlights? Or a surprisingly agile SUV? We track tested it to find out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    Impressive acceleration for such a large, heavy vehicle. Unfortunately it was not designed for turning or sharp handling, at least not on pavement. Rich, image-conscious posers wanted.
    The engine in this vehicle is 5.5 liters with twin turbochargers and makes 388 hp with 391 lb-ft. The 5.0 in the Mustang GT makes 420 hp with 390 lb-ft and NO turbochargers. Perhaps I am comparing apples to oranges but interesting none the less.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    This ranks among the stupidest vehicles I've ever seen. An overpriced box as big and garish as the egos driving it around as a $113K status symbol. Stick a big enough engine in a boulder and it will accelerate well; that's not clever engineering. It made a good nemesis in the final car chase scene in the Bourne movie, and I must say its demise wrapped around a concrete tunnel pillar was well deserved.
  • carzrmylifecarzrmylife Member Posts: 1
    EDIT: It is a naturally aspirated 5.5L V8

Not sure how everyone missed this...

Great read though, I had a 2003 CLK500 the year the new body style came out, prior to the new NEW body style...and the 5.0L V8 was amazing for "only" 302hp. It has always amazed me how Benz can take 382hp from this 5.5L and make it move these things i.e. the S-Class, GL-Class, etc. the way that it does...I have an Infiniti G now but miss my CLK a lot...almost got an E550 coupe but read about the new bi-turbo 4.6L replacement that was in store and decided to go with the Infiniti G ...... for now............