Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium: Track Tested

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium: Track Tested

We track test the diesel-powered, 40 mpg 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium. See how it performed.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    1379 miles on a diesel and you wonder why it does 0-60 in the 9's?! Call me when you have about 15-20k on it and I'll come look. Don't like the way you describe the brakes fading. I thought the US was finally past that crap now we are well into the 21st century?
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    "Torque is what makes things get up and go. Torque is what sits you back in your seat"

Sort of, but I like using horsepower as a better indicator for acceleration, since it's a product of torque X rpm (/5252, to be more specific) taking into account engine revs obviously... but in the end, they're all related.

The diesel engine's prodigious low end torque means it has a lot of low end power (hence "get up and go"), and over the 4.5k rev band this power band is flatter than a gas engine. The downside is that since a gas engine holds a better torque curve at higher rpms (and it can reach those revs), a gas engine also makes greater peak power. Take advantage of shorter gearing and that's why your acceleration times are crap even if the car feels strong off the line. It's the same thing with all diesels... the initial rush of power falls off when you actually give it beans.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I didn't see anything I wasn't expecting. The handling and braking numbers could always be better sure, but I wasn't expecting better from a non-sport sedan. As for the engine; We all knew it would be slower (low hp, low redline of the diesel) while feeling strong (torque of the diesel) and returning good fuel efficiency, especially in the real world. Personally, I think they should have brought over one of the 2.0L, 160hp or 180hp diesels that VW/Audi offer in Europe, which are really in a sweet spot in my opinion. Regardless, I don't think that anyone who knows what they are getting into will be disappointed in this Passat's engine.
  • frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    @agentorange: that's a lot of miles to wait for decent, still not great, acceleration from any car. What crap are you describing that the US needs to get past. The feeling of not having control in a 3500 pound machine? That sounds more like mid-20th centu
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @frank908 "What crap are you describing that the US needs to get past." What I mean is that cars for the US market are/were notoriously underbraked. I thought we were past that, but VW just would the clock back. That is pretty disappointing give
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I think that's the first time I ever got thumbs down for explaining a factual concept devoid of opinion. I guess people failed high school physics and never seen a dyno plot before?
  • cynic783cynic783 Member Posts: 30
    All this gushing about torque, but then in actual controlled scientific testing, this thing is SLOW. 16.7@81.6. Last year's non-turbo inline 5 did 16.6@84.1 using. Edmunds. same. test. protocol.
    http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/passat/2012/road-test-specs.html
    I LOL at your TDI.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Mine has live spots and dead spots. It will spin the tires coming off the line or even rolling unless you roll in the throttle. At what I would consider mid-level speeds it's not powerful at all. Once you get above 65, the acceleration is pretty good, not V6 good but solid. The odd thing to me is how much more powerful, calm, and far less thrashy it is compared to the 2.5. I would not have bought the 2.5. My wife, coming from a 2008 BMW X3, doesn't miss the power difference around town. The stopping from 5-0mph is an adjustment with the "clutch" releasing, and there is a lot of movement after you put the car in park. Unfortunately, I can't convince my wife to use the parking brake.

I had a friend drive ours last week. His first comment was that the car drives smaller than it is. Not a great handler but I agree with that comment.
  • letstalk2letstalk2 Member Posts: 1
    I think some are missing the point. Who buys a diesel Passat for the performance????
    I purchased my Passat TDI Premium 3 weeks ago and have already put over 4,000 miles on it. I just returned from an Iowa/Daytona Beach round trip and averaged OVER 46 mpg including 500 miles city driving (3350 miles total). I get 42 mpg on my 19 mile daily commute of which approximately 50% is city.
    I got 51 mpg on a recent 150 mile round trip cruising at 60.
    I bought it for the mileage although I have chirped the tires a few times on accident while leaving a stop light. I am thrilled with my car! I bought it for the mileage and it has not disappointed me. I am 6' 3" and about 245 pounds, the car is comfortable and smooth. 750+ mile range on a tank of fuel....I'll take that! I've read several articles about the hybrids not acheiving the mileage they advertise....the Passat TDI exceeds it!