Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S: Track Tested

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S: Track Tested

Chevy Corvette vs. Porsche 911: It's the bench race to end all bench races. See how the Corvette and 911 compared on in our latest track test.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Crazy numbers - reading them just dazes me. I love both these cars.
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    Edmunds test of the 991-series 911 S PDK matched the Corvette's acceleration numbers: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/track-tested-2012-porsche-911-carrera-s-pdk-vs-7-speed-manual.html

I like these comparisons, I really do, but I don't know if you can call them track tests unless they include a track session. Slalom, skidpad, and braking distances are not the same thing as track times.

That being said, I genuinely believe the Corvette manual would beat the PDK 911 S on just about any track given equal drivers. Which is just a phenomenal testament for the Corvette and against Porsche - the S model is an upgraded sports car, it should be more of a track monster than the Corvette. But it's not. Good for you Chevy.
  • cynic783cynic783 Member Posts: 30
    PDK 911 is very impressive, scoring some wins in simple straight line acceleration (although it falls behind in 1/4 mile see MPH trap speed)
  • mjm21mjm21 Member Posts: 1
    Gm states the vette 60-0 is 104 not 93 in the manufatures estimates. While I really really like the braking distance of your test (93ft) in all the other magazines and Internet tests I've seen its between 103-104. Not saying that it isn't correct, just interesting/amazing that its that much faster to 0.
  • DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    First I've read that the Stingray has rev-matched downshifting. This trend is ridiculous. What's the point of a stick shift if you are getting less and less driver involvement? Soon you'll have a "manual" that doesn't use a clutch pedal ... oh, wait ...
  • steel_3dsteel_3d Member Posts: 2
    Rev match can be turned off with the flick of a steering wheel paddle, and you can heel and toe all day.
  • DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    It's nice that it can be turned off. The presence of such tech certainly doesn't detract from how amazing this new Corvette is, but it's still not a good thing.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    One car says "I have a lot of money". The other says "I am a 65 year old bald man".
  • xterrobrandoxterrobrando Member Posts: 9
    would like to point out to Edmonds that even though all of the published braking tests mentioned a softening of the pedal after repeated single-stop tests, the distances didn't increase. There didn't seem to be any fade on any tests...

Porsche's PDK is impressive, but overall the numbers, balance, and characteristics of stability in the Stingray point to track victory...

It will likely be a great advantage for the 'Ray when their dual clutch 8 speed auto transaxle is released (hopefully) in 2015.
  • xterrobrandoxterrobrando Member Posts: 9
    speaking of the Stingray's braking tests, to clarify...