Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dyno-Tested: 2013 SRT Viper GTS and 2012 Chevy Corvette ZR1

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

imageDyno-Tested: 2013 SRT Viper GTS and 2012 Chevy Corvette ZR1

Edmunds conducts a Dyno Test of the most powerful Viper ever and its crosstown rival, the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• akula1akula1 Member Posts: 0
    And if the Viper was supercharged, how 'incredible' would that be?
  • adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    This new format Sucks. I'm trying really hard not to lose interest in you guys since I've enjoyed following and commenting on the blogs for years but you are making this damn near impossible and have sucked out all the joy from this user's experience.
  • zr1manzr1man Member Posts: 19
    Another ZR1 win! What can I say.
  • shrikershriker Member Posts: 1
    Wow....I was really poised to like this new Viper alot, which I do. BUT , sweet Mary , the ZR1 completely DECIMATES this car .....WAY more power everywhere, set a new record for stock cars on same day with same driver at Leguna Seca, IL's tests says the Viper understeers consistently , yuck.

The NEW C7 Vette is due in just TWO weeks....It is supposed to be a couple HUNDRED pounds lighter and has an all new LT1 . What will the next ZR1 be like at 200lbs less and 700hp along with next gen magnatoreological (spell?) shocks etc. The Corvette RULES...

But I still really like this new Viper ....
  • noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    why do I have to log in to even SEE comments? Even after logging in I have to click on the comments tab to see them. This is tiresome; I agree with adntium above. I've gone from visiting several times a day to only a couple of times a week.

It was interesting to see the dyno compare a normally aspiritated V-10 to a supercharged V-8. If the Viper could fit some kind of forced induction under the hood, the tires would never stay planted!
  • wdrg123wdrg123 Member Posts: 2
    Beautiful !
  • pisadopisado Member Posts: 3
    The Viper motor is beautiful. Look at all those hoses over the Vette's engine.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Let's not forget the 5.8L V8 in the GT500. That engine has even more grunt than the ZR1 motor.
    http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/06/dyno-tested-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-vs-2013-chevrolet-camaro-zl1.html
  • engineermdengineermd Member Posts: 9
    I wonder how long till the Aftermarket shoves forced induction down the snakes throat... that should be good for 800-1000+ HP right?
  • elkrisoelkriso Member Posts: 1
    This is pure American awesomeness! Giving the Gen II GTS's are able to push close to 1,000hp reliably with only forced induction and fuel system upgrade; the new SRT Viper having forged internals, forced induction should be outright insane.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @noburgers. There is a "Comments" tab at the TOP of the article, so you can see them without logging in. However, I agree, having it up there makes as much sense as CUE and MyFordTouch.

I am more peeved that there is no video with this piece. M
  • blackmetallicblackmetallic Member Posts: 2
    Viper's wearin some rubber. 295'sF/355'sR
  • samster231samster231 Member Posts: 26
    I was trying really hard to stay off the "this new format sucks" bandwagon, but it has been really tough trying to like what this has become.

I like the fact that the writers at IL are a whose who of some of my favourite writers from the paper mag days. Context here, I am not a super old guy, but 40 is just around the corner for me.

Why would you go through the effort to assemble that sort of talent and then p%@!! the very people who followed them to a new online community?

Please don't ignore the many comments made as static and work to make this thing better.
  • slickersdripslickersdrip Member Posts: 4
    Yikes, I did not think that the ZR-1 would be that much more powerful. I still think I'd go for the Viper based on the interior alone.

Sorry to continue onto the bandwagon, but PLEASE go back to the old InsideLine format, even if it just says What's Hot at the top instead of InsideLine. I hate this format. Hate it.
  • cr_drivercr_driver Member Posts: 0
    Remember guys, January the 10th INSIDE LINE DISAPPEARS FOREVER!!!!
    Man, this place sucks.
  • pr0m3th3u5pr0m3th3u5 Member Posts: 1
    Where are the videos?
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    with the viper just now coming out and the replacement for the ZR1 right around the corner i will take the viper. 8.4 liters!!
  • ryandigiryandigi Member Posts: 5
    does this thing even comment?
  • ryandigiryandigi Member Posts: 5
    Oh, now I figured out how to comment....this sites navigation makes me feel as if I am some 90 year old who has never used a computer.
  • nobrkesnobrkes Member Posts: 1
    Where's the 650 hp, 600 ft lb Shelby GT500?
  • manofthefieldmanofthefield Member Posts: 1
    Would be interesting to see the GT500 added to the graph