Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 SLP Panther Camaro Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 SLP Panther Camaro Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2014 SLP Panther has standard-issue Chevy Camaro climate controls, and lately, they haven't been working all the time.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    typical, high tech, touch screen system needs rebooted. Oh wait.....
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Just over 5k miles and it's shed trim pieces, a fan belt and has electrical gremlins.

Yup, a tuner car alright. Built like every other tuner car by doods who think they can do a better job than OEMs.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I hate infrequent problems that seemingly come and go at random.
  • Options
    tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    To be clear @desmolicious, two of the three problems you described had nothing to do with the aftermarket modifications on this car.
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    Rebooting processor-based systems isn't something we should be surprised about. In fact it would be the first thing I do if my car's subsystems were acting flaky. What would be unforgivable is if the primary systems acted flaky and stranded you. IMO

IMO, I'd keep an eye on it and not worry. Probably a one-off glitch that may have occurred due to the power cycle during the refuel.
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    FWIW I had a similar glitch occur with the Blind spot monitoring on my Wife's CX-9. It was dead, and restarting the car cured it. I also experienced some glitches with my VW's radio that was cured after a power cycle. All CPU-based systems have the chance of loosing their minds. It's really no different than having your smart phone hang or your laptop glitch. It's the world we live in. As long as critical systems don't go down then...
  • Options
    to be clear @tlangness, at least two out of the three problems were from the tuners. They also installed a short shift kit which required taking the center console apart. Which in one IL installment was now shown to be coming apart.
    Numerous things could have happened to cause the electrical glitch. Maybe they routed wires poorly while in there. Maybe connectors were not reconnected cleanly/adequately. Let's be real here... for it to lose a fan belt due to sloppy installation shows a lack of attentiveness to the process. And that was on a mission critical part.

I'm curious, did this car have a CPU reflash/was it chipped? If so, where is that kept, under the dash close to the HvAC controls?
  • Options
    Username is vulgar
  • Options
    red_xj2000red_xj2000 Member Posts: 13
    So you use the AC and heated seats at the same time? Really?
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    red- hang around longer you'll see even more insanity. There's one writer that when driving solo has the seat warmer on. His side of climate control set to warm, but the other side set to cold (or the opposite.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    @tlangness: on the contrary, I would bet cash money that the HVAC reboot was the only glitch that had nothing to do with SLP's work on the car. Those seats had to come apart in order for the SLP seat skins to be installed, and for sure the control handl
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Everything goes through the BCM these days, even things that you would assume are just hard wired to a stand alone relay or controller. So I bet it's something that, if there WAS a fix, would require a BCM reflash/update. I have heard of a similar issue in the 2014 Chevy Cruze (and other cars, as other commenters have mentioned have strange bugs). Even my 2005 CTS-V uses the BCM to centrally manage just about every button you can press, including the power seat controls. I've had no problems @ 115k...