Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, like the C6 before it, comes with push button door

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• nukedetroit2nukedetroit2 Member Posts: 27
    Precisely the kind of overly complicated - yet under-engineered - "solution" that GM is universally derided for.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    agree. just let me open my door for myself.
  • okbeartoyokbeartoy Member Posts: 34
    What you may not realize is the actual "latch" is in the car body not the door, if it is the same as the previous generation Corvette. With the latch in the body you have to either, electrically unlatch, or use a cable as is on the floor and possibly under the hatch in the rear. (latch in the rear so you can open the door in the event of a dead battery, key on previous generation was above license plate to pop the hatch).
    Not sure if this generation is quite the same but from what I see it is probably close..
    So... this arrangement might also mean that GM had to add yet another mechanical door latch, accessible through the hatch? This ridiculous "solution" makes less and less sense by the minute.
  • speednetspeednet Member Posts: 52
    OMG, another post that generates more GM hatred and vile. SMH

I wonder if James Riswick realizes that the auto-lock feature that he derides in the article can be turned off with a simple option on the touch screen? Of course not, that would require (a) to spend a minute investigating the options and (b) to give up on one of his points to slam GM with.

It's really sad that the long-term review of the C7 Stingray has turned into an anti-GM rant. Really sad.
  • bimmerjaybimmerjay Member Posts: 28
    Turning off the auto locking fixes nothing - it means you now have to fish the key fob out of your pocket/purse/wherever to lock the car. The whole point of keyless access is so you don't have to do that, and virtually every other car with this feature has a button or touch point on the exterior door handle to lock the car as you walk away. Omitting this capability in lieu of the car deciding when you're far enough away to lock itself is a poor design.
    I am always amazed how some of the comments are always negative if anything is in the least different than what that individual prefers..

Just because the mechanism is different doesn't make it less capable. Who knows why or when this decision was made but it works.. Just like the auto lock system works, it will flash the lights and everything.. Most Corvette owners are folks that park away from storefronts and mall entrances to protect their investment and it is easy to see when the lock system does it job....

Probably far less complicated than some of the proximity unlock systems that are on many of todays cars..
    One thing it does mean is that you can't "pop" the lock by getting into the door with a slim-jim
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I agree with Bimmerjay. I just got my first car with keyless entry, and having that little touchpad to lock the door is nice for peace of mind even if it isn't strictly necessary.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    What is going on with the orange peel paint on the gas tank cover?!?
    Sorry your panties are in a bunch, speednet. Perhaps you should accept the fact that you bought a Walmart-spec supercar, rather than getting pissy when others point out its numerous flaws... like that orange peel. Jesus - even Kias have better paint.
    Wow nukedtroit2, you're a real jerk. Do you work hard on that every day, or does it just come naturally?
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    The rest of the industry uses the push button or touch point mechanism because it is mature technology and it's what people expect.
  • houtexjimhoutexjim Member Posts: 2
    I think the electronic door buttons are because of the window indexing the Corvette does. When you open or close the door you will notice that the window drops a quarter-inch and then the door opens. This is required because the engineers found that at high speed that is over 150mph the glass was being pulled outward at the top of the window. So the indexing puts the glass into a top groove to hold it in place. Opening the door without indexing will drag the window out of the groove so the electronic system was used. Obviously in an emergency you would use the manual system and drag the window out of the groove.
    Thank you houtexjim, the factual comment is appreciated. The windows on the C7 does in fact index as you say, and is a major reason for the push-button doors. I do wish the C7 also had a button mounted externally in the door notch to lock the door -- one of my "wish list" items for a future model year. It's nice to note that the nitpicks about the C7 revolve around minor items like this, and not major items like the lack of a proper stick shift in most competitors' cars.
    Oh please... "window indexing?" That's hardly new technology; if memory serves, BMW had it on the E36 cabriolet 20 years ago, using real, easy-to-grasp door handles and everything. It isn't exactly difficult to wire an electric switch to a mechanical door latch (well, maybe is it for GM...)

No, this ridiculous solution is due entirely to GM's tendency to find "solutions" to problems that simply don't exist. Why use safe, reliable, mechanical door handles when - for extra cost and complexity, and hello warranty repairs! - you can use an electric system that STILL requires a mechanical backup?!?

And speednet, by all means continue to call me a "jerk" when the first C6 or C7 owner fries after their 'Vette pulls an SS Pace Car, and he or she isn't able to safely extract themselves from the flaming wreck because, lo and behold, their needlessly complex door handles stop working! LOL
    You're a silly person nukedtroit2. Your username clearly states that you don't want American cars to succeed, since they are all based in Detroit. Your hostile comments therefore are fairly meaningless to a serious discussion. Just like your silly comment about someone getting fried in a Corvette because of the door handle. I don't think you realize how stupid that sounds.
  • bimmerjaybimmerjay Member Posts: 28
    An electronic door release mechanism is not necessary for the "indexing" houtexjim describes. I've owned multiple cars over the years with frameless windows that drop a quarter inch or so when you open the door, all with traditional door latch mechanisms and 150 mph+ top speeds. This is simply a showcase technology like the recent trend of touch panel controls. It doesn't exist to solve any problem or add convenience but simply to make an impression on the customer.
  • lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    Haven't driven a C7 yet, but as Riswick noted, the setup is pretty similar to the C6, which I have owned. I never found using the exterior touchpad or interior button difficult. The interior button is located precisely where one's thumb would rest when grabbing the door pull. Just grab, squeeze and push. No big deal.

As for the automatic locking/keyless entry, I've never had an issue on my Corvette C6, my CTS-V or my Volt. Just make sure that you select in the options menu that you want the lights to blink and the horn to sound, so that when you walk away you have confirmation that the car has locked. You teach yourself to listen/look for the confirmation. If you don't hear it, fish out your keys and hit the lock button just to be safe.

If you are still paranoid, just use your OnStar app on your phone or computer to lock it again.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.