Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper

The latest comparison test between the SRT Viper and Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• velocity_xvelocity_x Member Posts: 10
    First !
    So, is this silver Stingray the new long-term test car ?
  • dderosadderosa Member Posts: 21
    No, our long-termer will be Lime Rock Green. We just got notice from GM that production is complete and the car is ready for us. -- Donna
    That's great; we need more cars with real colour !
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Bravo Chevy. I knew you could build a world class Corvette. Now, about all those black vents...
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    Donna... tell GM to bring along a couple of gas cans filled with 93 octane for performance testing... we'll keep it a secret... I swear...

Better yet, since this new 'Vette is such a great road car, how about driving to a neighboring state with a test track and 93/94 octane fuel for some performance testing... I'm sure Josh would love to volunteer.
  • pontiacbixler0pontiacbixler0 Member Posts: 3
    yeesh... those headlights and front ends.... I didn't think at first that it was that bad of a photocopy job, but now.... woah.....
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    How about just driving from Streets of Willow to Big Willow? What is the thought behind testing cars with this kind of performance envelope on a track where they're running average lap speeds of 68-69 mph? I mean, take it all the way down to autocross - looks like the 'Vette would have won there for sure...but is that where cars like this live?
  • frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    "Man, that thing is like a white Batmobile." Stuff like that doesn't happen in a Corvette.

Thank God.
  • frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    @redgeminipa
    Or just add a bottle of high-octane additive
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Did Oldham's whining to Gilles finally convince SRT to loan a Viper?
    The Corvette has a lot of potential here, and the handling numbers are still a bit hard to believe considering the price of the car. The Viper is rough around the edges, but honestly it takes some dialing in from the owner to get it to behave (not that anyone does that kind of thing anymore)- for one thing, you can fix the odd exhaust note by getting rid of the side exhausts, sacrilege sure... but you can't expect 5 banging cylinders per side to sound great. For another, the suspension need a bit of work to be compliant, but once it's dialed in the car actually handles really well.
  • rage028rage028 Member Posts: 1
    Great article, you summed up the Viper's personality perfectly. There is really nothing else quite like it, nothing so American, nothing so forceful, aggressive and intimidating.

The Corvette will always be the common man's sports car. Diluted by the myriad of models available to buyers, the Z06 and ZR1 may be special but aren't so special when a base model rolls up next to them.
  • drjohn43drjohn43 Member Posts: 0
    I'll buy the 'Vette and take the $32,315 I saved by not buying the Viper and buy my son a fully loaded VW Golf Autobahn GTI. You guys may not agree with my choice, but he sure will!
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Really a no-lose proposition either way.
    The U.S. continues to produce incredibly capable sports cars that are relatively affordable.
    They're both true beasts, but for all-around driving, I'd buy a Vette.
    Well done America.
  • bryan__tbryan__t Member Posts: 23
    I've got a confession to make. I'm a Porsche guy. From a young age my dad taught me that Vettes were poorly-made pieces of plastic and fiberglass that were generally unworthy. But the new Vette seems awesome and I cannot think of a single objective reason to buy a 911 over this.

I hope I am still invited for Thanksgiving dinner...
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    "But the Viper is actually oddly wonderful on the street. This isn't the sort of car you take through the drive-through or to Home Depot to pick up bathroom fixtures." Obviously no Home Depot runs, but if you live in California, own a Viper, and don't take it to go pick up some In-n-Out, you're doing it all wrong.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    So Chevy is offering the 'Vette in green, they're naming it Lime Rock Green, and you're getting that color for your LT car? I don't know what part of that to be most happy about. The world needs more colored cars with awesome paint names.
  • 330i_zhp330i_zhp Member Posts: 55
    Well-written, fun to read article. The writer clearly realizes these cars take different approaches and aren't trying to copy each other. I'd be happy with either.
  • shaunnbshaunnb Member Posts: 1
    Personally, I'm much more interested in Corvette vs Cayman S as those are the two cars I'm considering atm...
  • usaprideusapride Member Posts: 1
    Bryan_t
    I have a confession to make ..I'm a 20 yr Porsche guy who started as a Vette guy and now I'm back to being a Vette guy for the last 5 years or more. No disrespect to your dad but those comments are so common in the Porsche world it's incredible. I know I used to use them. The complex( if you want to call it that) that Porsche guys develop to be nasty to Corvette is amazing to me. It's overboard to be honest....I left the Porsche world for many reasons years ago and haven't looked back. I'm happier...I enjoy all the Corvette enthusiasts I have met all over the country in the past years...I have gotten to be friendly with the entire Corvette corporate team ..and i have more money in the bank with a faster car to boot. And that was with C6 not even C7 ! I have a message for the smug Porsche crowd ...the new C7 is a game changer so get used to it. The days of shoving 125 grand 911's down customers throats along with total rip off options are over ....I wish Stuttgart luck...USA !
  • dcnelsondcnelson Member Posts: 1
    The Question: Which one would I rather drive (Viper SRT or 2014 Corvete). Well . . . I'd like to drive them both. The Corvette with the Z51 option. Now which one would I buy, no problem there, the Corvette!
  • ks55ks55 Member Posts: 8
    Who cares.......Both of these are getting increasingly irrelevant (pigs on gas ,insurance, suck in the snow, and less and less people can afford them. Even less actually drive them on the track and so what even if you can, top speed of 999 ....yeah so what. ) Now if Chevy were to bring out a 30k V6 smaller Corvette then you would at least have more who could afford one. They now start at 55k !!! ....and glad to hear there are so many of you out there in this POS Nobama economy who are doing so well to drop 60 to 100k. Don't even get me started on the Viper.
  • shoesus27shoesus27 Member Posts: 14
    Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

( http://www.shoes2.us// )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.

http://www.shoes2.us/Michael-Kors-Handbags-n2447/
  • shoesus28shoesus28 Member Posts: 8
    Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

( http://www.shoes2.us// )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.

http://www.shoes2.us/Michael-Kors-Handbags-n2447/
  • shriker66shriker66 Member Posts: 7
    This new Corvette is quite amazing .....I feel bad for the Viper guys, really . They put in a great new effort with this new car but it still gets beat by the C6 ZR1 in its first test . They respond with a super special track version and barely nip the C6 .......NOW this new C7 is out and the base car is sooo good, GAWD only knows what the PERFORMANCE MODEL is going to be like next year......