Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Taking delivery of Edmunds.com's 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray long-term road test.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    I look forward to you guys logging in some good miles on it and hearing how it does in long term tests!
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Definitely a good read. Interesting about the dress code at the plant. Ideally, I'd say some sort of standardized, albeit simple, dress code is the best. You don't have to deal with a lot of hassle, but you still get a feeling of unity and purpose, just like the jerseys on a sports team. At least that's the way I see it. Other than that, $990 for this whole fanfare actually seems like a pretty good deal, considering it makes for cool memories and stories. Plus it gives an excuse to drive your new and awesome car that many miles home.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I would not have expected a different start to the journey. That leaves mold release on the fronts, but with your trip you should be OK on day 1. It's going to be a fun year!
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I agree, some sort of dress code is useful if you aren't working at an Internet startup. If nothing else so people can differentiate between being at work and on the couch at home watching TV. --- I guess the extra price isn't bad but BMW actually gives you a discount for going over there to pick up the car at the factory. And they still have to ship it over for you when you are done
  • nukedetroitnukedetroit Member Posts: 108
    "I like that employees can dress how they want, but I'm not sure how to feel when I see a big hairy dude in a cut-off T-shirt climbing around the interior in what could have been our car a week ago."

Ridiculous what the UAW parasites are allowed to get away with. You're right to feel uneasy about that 'big hairy dude,' since he's probably downing a 40 and smoking a doob over his two-hour lunch break, too. Not exactly a recipe for quality assembly.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Is a smokey burnout part of the proper break in procedure for a new Corvette :)
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    Arrived in a Yaris and came out with a 'Vette. :)
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    I'm really liking that yellow one
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I went on the factory tour about 10 years ago, towards the end of the C5 production run. I actually saw a guy sleeping. He didn't appear to be at an active assembly station, but he was still in full view of the tour group. I'm a big fan of Corvette, but that moment didn't exactly impress me. I don't recall whether there was a dress code or not, but I think it might have been like it is now because I remember feeling like even though those people knew what they were doing and were doing it well the appearance was like watching your neighbors assembling just another car. Even though that's what it essentially is, it's not just another car to buyers, especially those who pay for museum delivery. People don't travel across the country to see where their Cruze is made or take delivery at a museum named after it, or maybe dream their whole lives of having one. It was still impressive to see the Corvette factory, but to be honest it would have been more so with a more professional presentation of some of the workforce there. It just seemed like it wasn't appropriate for a $50,000 + halo car with own dedicated factory. And it's no disrespect to the people themselves, I'd love to work in a T shirt and jeans every day and it wouldn't change anything about the quality of work that I do - but the customers of my company never see me and don't take tours through my workplace to watch me assemble a product they've paid a substantial sum of money for.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    As Jeremy Clarkson said, rather insightfully, in regard to the ZR1: "Bravo, Fat Guy From Kentucky!"
  • speednetspeednet Member Posts: 52
    @nukedetroit - That's the only thing you can say? You sound miserable.