Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com's long-term 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has developed a hard-to-pinpoint brake judder.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    nukedetroit2nukedetroit2 Member Posts: 27
    Why is this such a surprise with a Walmart-grade "supercar?" Looks like GM is cutting costs on the performance pieces now, too, and not just trim and fit & finish.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Wild guess but maybe small brake pad deposits on the rotors from aggressive braking? Maybe one of the calipers isn't closing/opening completely?
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Are those brake rotors too small or the wheels too large?

I would be embarrassed to drive like that.
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Curious to follow this. I believe your 'Vette has the Z51 package and I would hope that those brakes would hold up very well in daily use. Please let us know what the resolution is.

Dumb question but has anyone looked closely to make sure the brakes are free of rocks or other crap which might have been picked up driving (esp. in the snow)?
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    Your brake rotors are warped.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Yeah a judder at that speed with partial brake pressure sounds like warped disks to me
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Unless you're significantly tracking your Vette, the rotors do not get warped. What happens to normal disk brakes that causes the "shudder" feeling is that brake pad material builds up disproportionately on the rotor, and when the pads press against the rotor the pad material highs and lows creates the shudder feeling. When the brakes get hot and you apply them at stops, the pad material sticks to the rotors and makes them have high and low spots.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Bottom line is that a supercar like this Vette should not have brake judder issues. Only excuse would be if it spent its life on a track.
    But it has not.
    Brake pad deposits and/or warped discs demonstrate either a faulty batch of brake hardware materials or inadequate spec.

So it is either from bean counting or bad luck. Let's hope it is the latter.
  • Options
    lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    **Attention Mods**
    Can somebody ban "nukedetroit2" already?

I'm sick of reading his negative posts on any domestic vehicle. He adds nothing to the conversation.

Thanks!
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Since this car has had the original tires removed from the wheels, the snows mounted and balanced, then the snows removed and the OEM tires remounted and rebalanced, I would try putting the car on your lift (after removing the cobwebs from it...), removing the wheels, cleaning the mating surfaces and stud/nut threads and remounting and re-torquing the lug nuts to spec to see if that takes care of it before you take the car to the dealer.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    If this is a case of warped discs then I'm afraid it will reinforce my belief that the US auto industry simply cannot put decent brakes on a car. Edmunds has run plenty of FOREIGN performance cars but I pushed to recall any of them frying the brakes on the public road.
  • Options
    speednetspeednet Member Posts: 52
    That's funny agentorange, we have a brand-new BMW X3 that was just issued a recall for brakes this month. We have had brake problems with two Lexus cars also. Not to mention that this issue they're describing with their C7 has not even been diagnosed. For all anyone knows maybe the shop damaged something when they decided to put snow tires on a brand new sports car. Maybe you should not reinforce your biased beliefs based on your conjecture.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @agentorange: I've had wildly varying experiences with brakes from different OEMs. Some warp (my experience with GM so that's why I'm inclined to believe that here) some fade, some act like on/off switches, some are vague, some have pads that have to be
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Seriously? Nissan has always been notorious for shipping cars with lousy, low temp pads on their performance cars. And Honda has always been known for fairly lousy brakes.
  • Options
    edbradleyedbradley Member Posts: 15
    "Are those brake rotors too small or the wheels too large?'

Perhaps next you could tell us how you FEEL about the stance, Viv.
  • Options
    ttopjohnttopjohn Member Posts: 25
    Could be a couple of other things as well, but my bet is uneven pad deposits - I'd say it's time to bed the brakes, or bed the brakes again if you've already done it. It will transfer an even layer of friction material to the rotor and should solve any judder or "warped brake rotor" feel. Chevrolet even has instructions http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals and Videos/02_pdf/Corvette_TrackPREP_v13.pdf