Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

The back-up camera in our 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 makes easy work of connecting a trailer, but all are not created equal.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    My '12 Raptor does the same thing, stays on while in drive and shifting back into reverse, it's a nice feature.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    GM sucks at build quality but they usually have those cool "why didn't I think of that" features. Edmunds recently did a post on the HUD in the Mazda 3 and how useful it is but GM first offered this technology in 1988. 26 years ago. Touchscreen controls for audio, climate and car functions in the 1986 Buick Riviera. Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems that displayed individual pressures in the 1997 Corvette. The most little known contribution GM made to automotive history was GM's Assembly Line Data Link. It was created in 1980 as way to make sure the computer worked on the assembly line. It was never intended to be used outside the factory and there was no special equipment to use the connection The only thing the dealer or customer could do was jump 2 pins in the connector with a small piece of metal and the check engine light would blink a code that would indicate a problem with the few systems it could monitor. Sound familiar. Years later this was adopted as On Board Diagnostics.
    GM sucks at build quality but they usually have those cool "why didn't I think of that" features. Edmunds recently did a post on the HUD in the Mazda 3 and how useful it is but GM first offered this technology in 1988. 26 years ago. Touchscreen controls for audio, climate and car functions in the 1986 Buick Riviera. Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems that displayed individual pressures in the 1997 Corvette. The most little known contribution GM made to automotive history was GM's Assembly Line Data Link. It was created in 1980 as way to make sure the computer worked on the assembly line. It was never intended to be used outside the factory and there was no special equipment to use the connection The only thing the dealer or customer could do was jump 2 pins in the connector with a small piece of metal and the check engine light would blink a code that would indicate a problem with the few systems it could monitor. Sound familiar. Years later this was adopted as On Board Diagnostics.
    @jeepsrt, the coolest thing about the Raptor is that Ford thought about installing a camera on the front of the truck. It operates a low speeds for rock crawling.
    @jeepsrt, the coolest thing about the Raptor is that Ford thought about installing a camera on the front of the truck. It operates a low speeds for rock crawling.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Thanks for that perspective, allthingshonda - people frequently forget that stuff the General pioneered.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Thanks for that perspective, allthingshonda - people frequently forget that stuff the General pioneered.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Yeah my 93 Caprice will blink out engine codes, ABS codes or even airbag codes by jumping different pins in the ALDL. I do all my data logging for engine tuning via that port. It was the wild west before OBD-II. Some manufacturers didn't even have the port inside the car.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Yeah my 93 Caprice will blink out engine codes, ABS codes or even airbag codes by jumping different pins in the ALDL. I do all my data logging for engine tuning via that port. It was the wild west before OBD-II. Some manufacturers didn't even have the port inside the car.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    I can understand backing up to the trailer when its loaded but why can't you roll the trailer to the truck for the last foot or two? From what little I can see from the pic its a single axle boat trailer so at best it weights 800-1400 lbs which is easily moved by hand.
    I can understand backing up to the trailer when its loaded but why can't you roll the trailer to the truck for the last foot or two? From what little I can see from the pic its a single axle boat trailer so at best it weights 800-1400 lbs which is easily moved by hand.
    So is Edmunds clearing out most people comments now or is this a website bug?
    So is Edmunds clearing out most people comments now or is this a website bug?
  • dan_acostadan_acosta Member Posts: 24
    "The Silverado's guidance line overlay does not pivot as you crank the wheel." The guidance lines do move when the wheel turns on my 14 Sierra. Are you sure they do not turn on the Silverado?