Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

We took our 2014 Chevrolet Silverado to get service.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• tjpark01tjpark01 Member Posts: 5
    Spray throttle body with cleaner. Dump fuel injector cleaner in gas tank. Spray bushings with silicone grease (in Los Angeles), with no road salt. You can do all this unnecessary work for about 10 bucks in about 10 minutes. There's a reason it's called the stealership.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    Also, when did GM switch to such short oil change intervals? Weren't most of their vehicles were running on a 10,000+ mile interval up until the past year or so?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "And also the confusing language used by our advisor who never quite explained the difference between dealer-recommended and owner's-manual recommended service needs." Hmmm...sounds like this may be Cameron's first rodeo.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    So pretty much a classic sleazy dealership experience. Throttle body cleaning, injector cleaning?!?!, chassis lubricatation?!?! at 15k miles?!!!! Please...
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    1/2 months into the long term test--you guys are piling on the miles! I hate dealer-recommended services--usually unnecessary high profit items. They usually accompany offers like "free" lifetime tires and batteries if you follow all the dealer-recommended maintenance.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    sorry I meant 6 1/2 months not 1/2
  • kamakurakid_kamakurakid_ Member Posts: 6
    Bunnin Chevrolet in Culver City, they doing what every Chevrolet dealer in the USA is doing or is this a glitch in the dealership network? My local Honda dealership tried the same garbage, I asked if they felt they knew more than the Honda Corporation? They replied following the service numbers in the owner's manual is the "minimum" and we live in a "dusty atmosphere". Yes as a matter of fact, I do fairly often drive my vehicle outside in the city atmosphere; so it was hard to argue with dealership logic. I refused the extra work and changed dealerships for the next visit.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    "who never quite explained the difference between dealer-recommended and owner's-manual recommended service needs." -- The difference is the items in the owner's manual are what the car needs to keep running properly. The dealer recommended items are what the dealer needs to sell to offset their massive overhead expenses and to cover for the sales department not making money when they sell the cars. -- If they want to try to up-sell items that is one thing but when they just automatically throw them at every customer like they are required it is slimy. You shouldn't have to opt-out of their added stuff; it should be something you have to choose to have them add in.
  • hoparhopar Member Posts: 2
    I get that DI engines get dirtier than their PI counter parts, but engine cleaning at 15000?? That is B$

9 hours for an oil change and some basic inspections? I would turn around and NEVER go back.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    yeah this is why I hate dealerships. Every time my wife would bring in our old cr-v to the local honda dealer they tried telling her she needed x/y/z services and we always had to tell them to only do what's in the book. I try to limit the work being done by anyone else on the cars (especially mine) and this is one of the reasons why.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    But I thought "Everybody's runnin' to Bunnin!" (Yes, that's the tag line in their print ads.)

I've been lucky with straightforward and fair dealer service experiences for quite a while now...and yet I still think it's an anomaly when the service rep *doesn't* try to rip me off.