Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

After two thousand miles on the road, here's how our new Silverado did on the mileage front.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Not bad, for a truck. Keep your cruising speed to 65 mph and I bet you increase your mileage by 20%, saving you about 17 gallons.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Might pick up a mpg after break-in, but nothing to get excited over. Heavy vehicle + high altitude = worst mileage short of towing something.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Pretty damn good for that vehicle under those conditions.
  • trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10
    smokes my 5.4 ford. living in denver, those are numbers i could live with.
  • karbuffkarbuff Member Posts: 34
    Wonder what sells better on Silverado's, 2WD or 4WD?? Guess it depends on which side of the 45th parallel you are on. We all know which side Santa Monica is on which explains the 2WD model being tested. Doubt many 2WD being stocked in Denver though.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    My question is what is top speed of a laden 2014 Sliverado? You guys did manage to take this to a "Closed course" on trip didn't you?
  • ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    Lets not forget the details before we all start jumping on the Silverado bandwagon and remember this is a 2WD with probably a 3.42 ratio if not the 3.08 and 65-75 MPH so we'll average that speed to 70. I just drove back from Salt Lake to Lincoln, NE in a 2012 CrewCab 4x4 GMC 5.3 Z71 with the 3.42 ratio and at 72-75ish speedo is off truck has 53k on it I averaged 20.4 for the first couple hundred. But after I hit Nebraska and set cruise at 80-83ish it did 17mpg which I feel is good but when I left Salt Lake it was with little to no wind and at around Cheyenne Wyoming I bucked wind the rest of the way.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    That's great mileage for a full size truck with a 5.3L V8. I don't know that I could hit the same numbers in my Xterra, a mid-sized SUV with a 4.0L V6, under comparable conditions.