Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

We recently used the Edmunds long-term 2013 Dodge Dart for a 700-mile family road trip.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Is the issue with the engine refinement (vibration, harshness, powerband), or is it just the loud exhaust? I think the 1.4L engine used here and in the Abarth don't actually have a muffler, you're *supposed* to hear it as it's more sporty (it's rorty compared to the NA engines). Although it's now beating a dead horse, the transmission is the biggest loser in this car, and the seats seem to have been a failing with Mopar products of late.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Brent, we need some more info for that 30.8 mpg result to mean anything. Average cruising speed? Use of cruise control? Headwinds or crosswinds? If you were doing 80 mph into a headwind, you can't expect to hit the EPA numbers. I've got a 35mpg-rated subcompact that will easily get 40mpg at 65mph but drop to 30 mpg at 80 mph & a headwind. That said, it's nice to see another compact car on the market that can eat up highway miles. A few years ago if you wanted a stable, substantial, quiet compact you had the VW Jetta and that's about it. Several good choices now.
  • Options
    titancrewtitancrew Member Posts: 17
    30.8 mpg is pretty disappointing when mid-sized cars in Edmunds long-term fleet have gotten better than that on the highway. The Camry and Sonata comes to mind.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I'm not surprised, or disappointed, that you got 30mpg. You did after all fill it up with two adults, two small children and their car seats, and a lot of luggage. Although the 1.6L makes 160 horsepower, it does so with a turbo at the high end, stay out of that range and you've got your 37mpg highway rating, ride it a little harder to get the extra weight on board up to speed and you have your average.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Weight makes a big difference at highway speeds, despite popular opinion that it's just aerodynamics.

And I'll agree with the other posters, what was your speed? There is a constant theme at Edmunds of testers griping about highway MPG while going 75-80 mph. Even with the extra weight, if you stuck to the speed limit you'd be a lot closer to the EPA rating.

BTW, the EPA highway test cycle averages 48 mph; it's not the same as 'keeping up with traffic'.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Weight doesn't really make that much of a difference if you're not accelerating or decelerating, except maybe more frictional losses. Things like the aero, friction reduction measures and gearing make significantly more of a difference at steady speeds. The average EPA # is only part of the issue, the accel and decel cycles simply don't reflect how most people drive and that's where most of the energy will go.
  • Options
    zaxpeedzaxpeed Member Posts: 1
    When they did their epa I'm pretty sure there was only the driver and not added weight of 3 other occupants and full trunk! and going around in cruise control in an oval track or something similar?