Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Four days on, I've made peace with our long-term 2013 Dodge Dart's drivetrain. Overall, the experience isn't any worse than a commute in our CVT-equipped Impreza.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I understand why auto boxes are programmed to get to the highest gear possible and resist downshifting. Thank our always helpful elected representatives.

What I don't understand is why every car that even hints at sporting pretentions (and the Dart more than hints) doesn't come with a sport mode that holds gears longer, downshifts sooner, and in DSG boxes, reacts faster to paddle commands. If econo mode is standard and is always the default at start up then it shouldn't impact government economy tests to also offer a sport mode.

How difficult and more expensive can it be to add a switch and some extra coding to the computer that controls the transmission.

Lastly, there are a bunch of aftermarket tuner boxes out there for engines. Why isn't there something similar for transmissions?
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    And why do comments eliminate spaces between paragraphs. Large blocks of text are a pain in the butt to read.
  • Options
    noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    I agree, Erin. If the trannys are calibrated for maximum economy, just add an ECO button so the manufacturer can make its mileage claims, and don't press it if you want driveability. No excuse for all the technology, only to end up with a car that drive like a slug.
  • Options
    noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    sorry bankerdanny, I guess I said the same thing you did. unfortunately on this site you have to read the comments first, as they don't appear until you post. I like the old way where they are always visible, whether you want to comment or just read them--no extra clicking
  • Options
    yaymx5_yaymx5_ Member Posts: 49
    Reminds me of the automatic transmission in my brother's '05 WRX. When you peg the throttle, here's what happens: 1. a little bit of acceleration. 2. uh, does this thing have a turbo? 3. turbooooo. 4. transmission grudgingly downshifts.