Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Chevrolet Silverado is big, but Parallel Parking it isn't as hard as you'd think.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• noflash1noflash1 Member Posts: 13
    ..."life in the city with a full-size pickup might not be so hard after all."

You must be joking. Can you always find 3 curbside spots in a row to hog?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    If you couldn't park the Silverado in a space that huge (without a backup camera) you really shouldn't be driving a vehicle of any kind in LA (or Chicago or NYC or any other large city). I have a neighbor that parks his 1990's F350 Crew Cab long bed 4x4 on the street most days.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    In NYC, finding a spot big enough is the biggest problem. Beyond that, in my experience with a last generation Yukon, is that the truck is very maneuverable despite it's size. If the spot's big enough, the truck should be able to get into it. Curving lines on the backup camera are nice but a radius is important when you're trying to get something this size into a tight space.
  • gtiguy3gtiguy3 Member Posts: 12
    I recall a friend's Cadillac SRX having the same curving lines for the backup camera. I think it may just be a GM thing.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Wow, you could park three Smart Cars in that space & put one in the glove box.
  • dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    Well it does have the Tesla Model S beat in that aspect. No grid lines.

Incidentally, does this truck run on 240v or only 110v?
  • james82chjames82ch Member Posts: 1
    Isn't there a setting in the Lexus, that activates the curving lines? I thought in the CT200h there was, so I assume it's also available in the GS.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I'd want the lines at all, straight or curved. Straight lines would show you where you're headed if you went straight back. Curvy lines would show you where you're headed if you kept the wheel exactly where it is. The reality of parallel parking in a tight spot is that you do neither of these things. You are almost constantly adjust thing the wheel, first one way, then the other. You will never actually stay on the path indicated by the lines, whatever shape they are.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @legacy: I assumed the lines curve depending on the position of the steering wheel, so based on the current steering input the curve shows where you will go. Can anyone say if I'm correct or not?
  • thetruck454thetruck454 Member Posts: 11
    Can you turn the line curving feature off? That would get annoying as you are constantly turning the wheel