Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2012 Chevrolet Sonic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds spent a whole year with the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ. How did it hold up? Read all of our findings here.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    i WISH i could have bought this car for 13k im so mad i couldent find any good 1 or 2 year old cars locally for less then 15k ended up buying a 4 year old car for 9k. i love everything about my honda fit sport but i jsut want more sport. the sonic seems like a great car i would take it over an accord camry or malibu any day.
  • rogern1967rogern1967 Member Posts: 1
    I am glad I purchased my C-segment 2011 Kia Forte LX 6-sp manual. I got more room (Sonic is B-segment) comfortable seats, good clutch/throttle action, and fuel economy averaging 34 mpg. A much, much better deal--especially when my low $14,500 purchase price is factored in.
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    There are alot better, roomier cars that will get this kind of gas mileage. And they don't look like a shoe. Not impressed.
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    "We figured that we could not list it at $15,000 since that was too close to the price of a new car. And if we listed at $14,500 we'd probably end up at $13,500 after haggling."

So, because you settled on the price from CarMax, who wants to make a profit on it, you figured the low-ball price for depreciation.

Someone's going to end up paying around $14,000 at CarMax when it's all said and done, so I think the $14,393 would be the more appropriate number to use. If you haven't noticed, the prices for MANY used cars could buy someone a *lesser* NEW car for the same money. Your logic makes no sense. Don't you usually use Edmund's TMV to estimate retained value on cars loaned to you by manufacturers? It isn't the Sonic's fault you settled for a low-ball price. This should apply to all vehicles from the Long Term fleet, by the way.

If I were on a tight budget of around $14,000, I'd most likely skip a base Sonic LS for a nice lightly used LTZ.
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    @zoomzoomn

Yeah... and? If you want a fun little hatch, that narrows it down quite a bit, making your comment worthless. I really can't think of too many cars that will average at least 29 MPG combined (considering how Edmunds drives, factoring in lower
  • rail1972rail1972 Member Posts: 6
    Congratulations Chevy!