Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

With its turbocharged, four-cylinder engine, you might expect the Dart would require premium gas. But with the advent of direct injection, that requirement is a thing of the past.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Nonsense? So what do you think they should do, Ed? Let it adjust to either 87 or 91 and offer better performance and fuel economy with 91, and notify owners of that ability, or disable the ECU's ability to advance timing to take advantage of 91?

The last 2 LT cars like this...both with 1.4 liter turbocharged engines also as a matter of fact, YOU people proved had more power and got like 2-2.5 mpg better fuel economy when run on 91. So the point, Ed, is that with the more expensive fuel you get better fuel economy...and the extra power is a free bonus.
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    Or, buy a Koenigsegg (did I spell it right?) no premium, extra-premium required. Biofuel FTW!
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Only on the interwebs would you cross shop a Dart and an Agera.
  • sjw91_sjw91_ Member Posts: 19
    Interesting that it's the same 1.4 turbo from the Fiat 500 that does recommend premium.
  • robert4380robert4380 Member Posts: 8
    Hey there Mr. Derp Derp editor... 91 octane fuel is recommended for the Dart's 1.4 turbo. Just because it doesn't say it explicitly on the gas cap doesn't mean you shouldn't crack open the owner's manual once in a while. Look in the 2013 Dodge Dart user guide, the book that's smaller than the regular owner's manual. Head to the section on maintenance... then fluids... then fuels... and under the heading for the 1.4 turbo it says plain as day that "87 octane acceptable, 91 octane recommended." Man, I wish I could get paid to drive cars for free and then spout off blatantly wrong information about them.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I see the "no premium in cars priced under$30k" club is alive, well and as uninformed as ever. BTDT with the Cruze. Come the SoCal summer those who put regular in will be whining about no performance and poor gas mileage. Those that use the PROPER gas will be much happier.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    The Hyundai Sonata / Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo doesn't need premium, either. It's a nice selling point.

Also, every engine today (turbo or not) is fitted with a knock sensor that retards the ignition timing to prevent detonation regardless of fuel grade.

I would imagine the Fiat/Dodge 1.4T and Hyundai/Kia 2.0T may be capable of more horsepower if premium is used. Others choose to state their optimal horsepower which is only achieved with premium.