Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How To Drive a Stick Shift

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2017 in Editorial
How To Drive a Stick Shift

Wish you could drive a car with a manual transmission? Are you intimidated? Don't worry. Here are some easy instructions on how to drive a stick shift.

Read the full story here

Comments

• caheewcaheew Member Posts: 0
    I wish someone would lend me a car so I could learn /:
  • trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10
    just call around to some local drivers education or driving schools. One of them will have a manual transmission car on hand. I sent my wife to one for the exact same reason.
  • dieseltcdieseltc Member Posts: 0
    I believe when you drive stick you become more engaged in the driving experience. People I know that drive stick do not usually think about talking on their phones or texting.
  • germanphilgermanphil Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2016
    plus even the smallest engine will feel somewhat sporty when you ram in the correct gear while accelerating or shift down using it as extra braking before entereing a sharp turn... greetings from germany ;-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Manual transmissions are getting so rare in the States, @germanphil, they make a good anti-theft deterrent.
  • germanphilgermanphil Member Posts: 2
    i bet its going to happen here some day too... right now, my 15 year old car doesnt shift well without some fiddling with the gas-pedal in betweetn... i guess that counts as some antitheft too x-) @stever
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited June 2016
    Commuting everyday in bumper to bumper city traffic will give you an early knee replacement surgery , if you drive stick shift. Nothing sporty about it ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    @germanphil -- welcome! You guys are better drivers than we are anyway. B)