Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds long-term update of the 2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye includes discussion of the Dart's TPMS display in the instrument cluster.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    shindig4shindig4 Member Posts: 0
    It's nice that it tells you the pressure for each tire, so you can see which one is down is there's an issue. I had a rental car recently (Sonata GLS) where the TMPS light came on, but it didn't indicate which tire was down. They all looked OK when I stopped at the gas station, but when I checked the pressure, one tire was a good 10 psi low. Of course the low tire was the 4th one I checked. Having this info on the display would have saved me the grief of checking each individual tire.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I wish our cars had the actual display like that rather than just the warning light. It isn't fun when the light comes on and the warning sounds just as you are getting to that big freeway interchange. Then you are left wondering 'Should I pull off the side of the freeway right here and check the tires in-cases I just took a screw in one of them and it is rapidly deflating? Or should I keep going and hope it is just a slow decline in pressure?'
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    This is the right way to do it...but when I see TPMS displays, I always wonder if the chances that four TPMS sensors picked off of a shelf somewhere are any more likely to be calibrated correctly, or even just the same as one another, than four tire gauges picked off of a shelf. If you bought four tire gauges and then labeled them RR, RF, LR and LF and used them only at the position labeled on them, how confident would you be that all the tires were actually running the same pressure - really? You guys at Edmunds - do you have an NBS-calibrated tire gauge - a good one? Please use it to determine how accurate this car's TPMS sensors are, and let us know.
  • Options
    camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    It's not common to compact cars, but your long-term Dart cost over $25,000. At that price it competes with larger cars like the Ford Fusion. A lot of people would opt for the bigger car. Unless you get the stripped down base model I feel like the Dart is priced higher than it's rivals. This is big disadvantage in the compact car segment where a lot of people want value for their money instead of gadgets jacking up the MSRP.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    TPMS are pretty accurate. My Acura is tire specific and one of the features I really appreciate. I've checked it with a standard tire pressure gauge and they were pretty close...save for +/- 1 psi. I did find one glitch. They communicate via radio signals. There was one particular area of my commute every morning that would cause the system to stop working. At the same spot the warning light would start flashing and the message display stated "Check TPMS System" Turning it off and restarting would clear it up. The dealer said that there must be something in that area that is on the same frequency as the sensors causing the signal to be interrupted. BTW GM has been using tire specific systems from the beginning. GM gets bashed a lot (rightfully so in most cases since I nor my family have ever had a trouble free GM product) but they have been very innovative.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    There was a similar display in the Cruze turbo I rented last week.