Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Focus ST Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Ford
image2013 Ford Focus ST Long-Term Road Test

The seats in our 2013 Ford Focus ST could be better.

Read the full story here

Comments

• noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    It's always a surprise to me that some basic ergonomic issues get by into production. On the other hand a car is expected to fit people of vastly different sizes. This does not seem to fit that category.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    You are fidgety because you are not comfortable. That's because you have a stepped rake adjustment so beloved in America instead of the stepless variety you get with electric seats or a wheel. Major failing in many US market vehicles IMHO.
  • shepskishepski Member Posts: 45
    So, actually, you ARE suckers. I've heard lots of complaints about the ST's Recaros, yet none about the base seats.
  • camsencamsen Member Posts: 15
    And these awful seats are the reason I did not end up with an ST. Good for me!
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    That whole option package is to be avoided. The seats are very uncomfortable (at least for me) and bulky, severely reducing interior space that is not good to begin with. Adjustment on this seat are very difficult; impossible for older people. To adjust the seat I had to get out of the car, stand on my knees and reach deep under the seat to pull the adjustment level. Ridiculous product from a company that clearly does not sweat the details.
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    I have to say, I didn't really care for the seats in the Focus ST, but now that I'm daily-driving a Fiesta ST with Recaros, I really like them. I imagine that anyone too much larger than me would have issues with fitment, but for my body type they feel like a hug.

I'm not sure how much of this is my rationalization reflex, so YMMV.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    The only reason I wanted an ST3 was for the xenon headlights and heated seats. But the downsides outweighed the upsides: the recaros were more uncomfortable, the touchscreen interface is completely unnecessary, sat radio isn't needed, leather is a minus, and the $5k upcharge is exorbitant. Finally I settled on a base model (no sunroof, lucky find) and got almost $2k below MSRP. So far I have no regrets.
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    I got used to it but found myself more annoyed with the inboard rotary knob on the first-gen SVT Focus Recaro seats than I do with the adjustment on the ST (although for small adjustments the infinitely variable rotary design might make some owners happier). When you're sitting in the ST's Recaro seats and the seatbelt is over your hips it doesn't really block the adjustment lever from what I've found but it definitely isn't the best shape in the easiest to reach location. On the list of ergonomic foibles on the Focus including the ST it's rather low on my list although it would be nice to see addressed along with things like the map/interior light location and others.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    I read this post a few days back and didn't understand what the problem was. Then, I checked the driver's seat in my ST3 and realized that with the full leather Recaros one gets a power seatback recliner and track adjustment.
  • the_0nethe_0ne Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    how about u all just lose some weight. Then they will be fine. Fat ppl just love to complain
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    Umm, and small people like to complain about people with different size bodies?

^- Not sure about your post but that was meant as humor.