Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Ford Transit Connect First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Ford
image2014 Ford Transit Connect First Drive

Looking for something cheaper or cooler than a traditional minivan? The 2014 Ford Transit Connect is worth considering.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tom_bavistom_bavis Member Posts: 2
    Weighs a thousand pounds more than my '94 Voyager did. Can't carry plywood in the back (maybe in the cargo version...). Don't use second row much, don't want third row - but it's standard. And $25,000 with vinyl seats, no radio or cruise control?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    It would seem like this vehicle is ideal for a small turbo diesel and the 2.0EB engine should really be available on the long WB version.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Tom welcome to the 21st century.
  • xprojected_xprojected_ Member Posts: 8
    Umm, if you're carrying plywood and not using the second row much, then get the cargo van version instead of the passenger wagon version. Or even the full size Transit. Ford has one of the widest ranges of vans/MPVs at this point.
  • marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    I like it. A bit quirky, but my wife and I don't like minivans or SUVs.
  • tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    Interesting article and vehicle - Heavy vehicle (weight-power ratio lacking regardless of engine choice) - quote from article @ Ford didn't provide 0-60 estimates but something in the ballpark of 10 seconds seems about right. Well 10 seconds is with "driver only." I'm thinking with such an under-powered engine, throw in 5 adults, family dog, full tank of gas - probably 15 sec 0-60....Just saying, they need the F150 twin turbo in this 4,000 pound van (5,000 with full family on board, cargo, gas, and don't forget the dog).
  • jimmdjimmd Member Posts: 6
    This is really an atrocious value. While I'm sure you can spend 40k to dress up a Honda or Toyota with unneeded bells and whistles, Edmunds' True Market Value price for a base model Sienna is about 25k, the same price as a Transit base model. A Honda base model is a couple grand more. With the other minivans you get a V6, more room, better interior and amenities, and similar MPG.

Horrible job by Ford. This thing should be 20 grand.
  • reuben_clamzoreuben_clamzo Member Posts: 1
    And the question asked about every minivan or minivan alternative: will it hold a sheet of plywood?
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    ill give this a test drive when its time to get a new vehicle the short wheelbase seems to be like the goldilocks vehicle for familys who want more space than a midsize/fullsize sedan and don't like crossovers or SUVs the long wheelbase version is jest meh with the lacking 2.5 engine the only powertrain available and also priced so high you might as well get a regular minivan.
  • nuerburgringernuerburgringer Member Posts: 7
    I drove a '12 Mazda 5 6-sp for 2 years (purchased new for $19k), and now drive a '11 Town&Country (purchased for $24k w/ 11k miles in '13, now has 25k) so clearly have no irrational hang-ups about "minivans" like a lot of insecure and irrational people still do (as Ford recognizes with that idiotic #unminivan thing)
    Still harbor a bit of a grudge against Ford for deciding to not bring the sliding-door S-Max over to the US from Europe, but had a look at the Transit last week.
    This article strangely downplays the deficiency of the second-row seats. People sit in my T&Cs second row at least 4x as often as the third row, so the adjustability and comfort of these is much more critical than the 3rd. Stow-and-go 2nd row is genius, I can't imagine having a minivan without them now.
    Sure the T&C handles like a schooner and you'll never forget you're driving a tall, heavy vehicle (like you might in a Mazda 5, but the road and wind noise in this was really bad) and who cares? It gobbles up highway miles, swallows 4x8 sheets of plywood or all my model airplanes, dogs, suitcases etc, looks nice without trying to be something it's not, has a great nav/radio/backup cam system and returns 22+ mpg mixed.
    2 weeks ago at Jazz Fest in New Orleans we rode in 3 different Grand Caravan taxis. All had over 100k (hard) miles, none had had any problems with the engine, transmission or suspension. That's a pretty damn strong endorsement IMO.
    Nice try Ford, but unless this gets much closer to 30mpg or cost is on par with the Mazda 5 (i.e. $18k-25k loaded) it's not going to tempt than many people.
    BTW: funny that Edmunds continues the trend of criticizing minivans costing $40k plus, when similarly equipped and finished SUVs (with MUCH less interior space) easily top this.