Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda CR-V Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Honda
image2012 Honda CR-V Long-Term Road Test

We took the 2012 Honda CR-V into the dealer for its 20,000-mile service. The price wasn't bad, and the efficiency of the staff was even better.

Read the full story here

Comments

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Isn't it kinda crazy that simply doing a very basic service correctly and only ripping you off less than you're expecting to be ripped off qualifies as a good experience when it comes to dealerships? Nice that they did get it done early, but our standards are pretty darn low.
  • sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    The dealer must receive very few requests for full-synthetic 0w20 since people are usually upset about needing to pay extra for the bulk syn-blend, genuine Honda 0w20.
  • tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    What are the "Tablets" that were billed out on the oil change? Is there some kind of additive that Hondas require in the oil?
  • huisjhuisj Member Posts: 1
    I think that's the surcharge for the service manager having an IPad. Just passing the costs on to the consumer.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Once it's on a lift, how long is it going to take to inspect the brake lines and hoses, suspension and steering components, driveshaft boots, the fuel lines, and the condition and level of all fluids? You do that while the old oil is draining out. Pennzoil Platinum is great oil, but not at ten bucks a quart. Right now, you can get the 5+ quart jug and a Purolator PureOne filter for $30 at Advance Auto - call it $5 for the filter and $5 a quart for the oil. I dunno - there is just something wrong with paying double for all parts and supplies, and then crossing your fingers hoping they get everything right that I can get right in my sleep.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Every dealer for every car I've owned gets a free inspection of all the things you were charged for as part of the oil change. The synthetic change is about $50 and tire rotation is $20, so you got hosed [upper radiator] for $70 which is double. All you would have had to do was inform them the comprehensive inspection is part of the oil service --- never go for any service procedure that is represented by a package reference [B1] unless you enjoy overpaying.
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    quote:

(1) [i]I know that 0W20 synthetic is required for the CR-V[/i]

and

(2) [i]I picked up the CR-V about an hour later and was pleased to find the total bill did indeed reflect a discount: It was $139.07 with tax. That's right in line with the Edmunds.com Maintenance Calculator's suggestion that you should pay $145 for a 20,000-mile service on a 2012 Honda CR-V if you live in the 90404 zip code.[/i]

(1) full syn is wrong as crv is listed per manual @ 0w-20 which can be a blend or full syn

(2) i always check dealer sites for coupons so next time check dealer site for coupons "Includes: Change oil up to 5 qts.- Install Honda genuine oil filter - Multi-point inspection - Vehicles with 0/20 grade are $59.95" http://www.hondaofsantamonica.com/specials/service.htm (Multi-point inspection includes all that hose n brake checking stuff)

59.95+tax (59.95+(59.95x.095))=65.65

crv in the air doing oil so rotating tires=?

edmunds payed 139.07

ipad & service advisor=fancy and less money in your pocket
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I am not sure using $15 a gallon 5W-20 quality oil and a $4 Fram oil filter when changed at 30% of oil life left hurts these cars. The engine in these CRVs is the same as the one in my 2009 Accord EXL that uses conventional 5W-20. The dealers rip you off with visual inspection without replacing anything but oil and filter.