Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Heel and Toe Downshift

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageHeel and Toe Downshift

Heel and Toe Downshift article on Edmunds.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• ibdefariaibdefaria Member Posts: 1
    Never heard about this.. i usually slowdown first and while turn step on the clutch, change gear and accelerate while slowing let go off the clutch.
  • peterhopepeterhope Member Posts: 1
    thank you for posting this. ive been trying to understand heel & toe properly before practicing it, and i think this has made everything click for me. im practicing it now and my heel toeing is getting much better :) thanks again
  • glam1glam1 Member Posts: 8
    Very useful information. Thanks.
  • hirondelhirondel Member Posts: 1
    One of my proudest accomplishments was learning to heel-and-toe AND double-clutch simultaneously. Completely useless in the late-model Camaro (6-speed Tremec T66 gearbox with B&M shifter) where I performed it regularly, but that car had a good pedal setup, making it fairly easy after some practice—and after finding the right shoes.
  • painter33_painter33_ Member Posts: 2
    Here and in another "shifting" article, twice described as "using the clutch to slow the car" is really "free wheeling", a dangerous practice at best, in which no gears are engaged and only the car's brakes can be used to slow and/or stop the vehicle. If one employs this bad habit, a brake failure means that very bad things will occur. Cornering with the clutch depressed is absurd. Downshifting, something I learned when my father taught me to drive on a column shifter, was and is always accompanied by a little kick or tap on the accelerator just prior to engaging the clutch. I just makes sense to match the RPMs to the proper gear. I've always owned manual transmission cars and have never had any clutch work done on my cars - this dates from 1967 to the present. Why a term, "heel and toe" has to be invented for drivers is beyond my comprehension. Just downshift properly, and that's all, folks.