Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda CR-V Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Honda

image2012 Honda CR-V Long Term Road Test

The 2012 Honda CR-V doesn't have a blind-spot monitor. Should it?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fsunolefsunole Member Posts: 25
    I'm in the market for a new compact SUV and test drove both the CX-5 and the CR-V yesterday. I really disliked the CR-V's concave mirror. It doesn't give any meaningful blind spot coverage and just annoyed me with the distorted edge. If the car doesn't have BSM, then I'd rather have no built in blind spot mirror and just properly adjust my mirrors.

The problem is everyone wants to be able to see the sides of their car in the mirror as opposed to adjusting them correctly. As my driving instructor said back in the day, "There is no need to see the doors of your car in your side mirrors. Don't worry, they'll follow you around even if you don't check on them."
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "While all of these models are excellent, your final shopping decision could come down to something like blind-spot monitoring feature availability." Final shopping decision? You mean, like the FINAL one? Of the last car I ever buy? Well, maybe then...not at any time in the near future.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    There is no such thing as blind spots in a regular production passenger car with properly adjusted mirrors and a check over the shoulder. "Blind spot" is just an excuse for when someone doesn't actually look before swerving over.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    ^Ha! Reminds me of some of the accounts people have with "Black Ice" You'd think they were driving along peacefully in the summer and BAM, Black Ice got them!
  • samster231samster231 Member Posts: 26
    While these blind spot indicators are convenient, how many people will stop shoulder checking if they have these?

If my son were to learn on such a car, what bad habits might he develop as a result?

Given the choice, I would pass on such a feature.
  • guilleshguillesh Member Posts: 7
    I hate the mirror on my '13. I bought one of those round fisheye stick-ons, as I have on every other car I own, and love it this way.
  • nadia2nadia2 Administrator Posts: 5
    I've always been interested in honda cr-v; good, insightful article.
  • dalimiandalimian Member Posts: 12
    david1
    david2
    david3
    david4
    david5
    david7