Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Infiniti Q50 3.7 Premium Full Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in INFINITI

Comments

• quickster7_quickster7_ Member Posts: 1
    The Q50 styling really looks so nice unfortunately, the interior looks like it came directly from Hyundai Sonata. When you charge that much money it should be more substantial.
  • se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    I remember that when the current Infiniti M came out, the "S" versions were deemed too harsh, and the non-S tires/wheels were the way to go. It sounds like Infiniti overcompensated the other way around this time. I wonder if the run-flat decision was for weight and trunk space savings.
  • niss_loverniss_lover Member Posts: 3
    @quickster7 Hyundai clearly jacked some of Infiniti interior design elements on the Sonata. And if you take a look at the current F you will see that the Q50's interior is a mix of that and the M. Infiniti has been using the whole double wave design for a
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Fail. No grip, no sale. No spare, REALLY no sale. It could do 12 s standing quarters and 45 mpg and I still would not want it.
  • herrstreetherrstreet Member Posts: 27
    I don't want to belittle the work that the engineers put into this car, but didn't they basically just add swoopy to the outside (and make it wider in the process but no more roomy). The motor is the same. The design of the interior is basically the same but with some newer tech. The platform is pretty much the same. What got better?
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Sounds like Infiniti has stepped it up a bit. The price also seems pretty reasonable in a time when a 3 series sedan can top 50K. I still don't get the new naming convention.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Slap some decent tires on this thing and it looks like you're good to go. But how do you screw up the front seats on a $42K sport sedan, Infiniti? Even Toyota makes seats with thigh support now. That dashboard is a dead ringer for the Sonata. Hyundai may have lifted some general design language from prior Infinitis, but Infiniti hit right back by copying Hyundai's use of piano black and silver plastic to make it look like a photocopy of the Sonata's center stack. Doesn't bug me, really, it's a good design and the materials are miles ahead in the Q50.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I can't believe this is what the G35 has evolved into. Complete destruction of brand equity with this new, confusing nomenclature; elimination of the manual transmission option and a poor tradeoff between ride and handling. Is this really progress?
  • carguy949carguy949 Member Posts: 1
    I'd love to see a three-way comparison between a Premium on the base 17's like the one here vs Premium on the factory optional 19's and summer tires vs a Sport which would then add the sport suspension. How much difference do the bigger wheels and summer tires make, and how much more, if anything, does the firmer suspension add? Would be interesting to see both the track test results and subjective comments about handling and ride.
  • aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    Skinny, rock hard tires are an EPA inflicted problem, just like not giving you a spare to save 40 lbs and 0.2 mpg.

Infiniti has to play the EPA's game like everyone else, that being the case I'd much rather they do it with tires that a buyer can cheaply and easily fix than with neutering under the hood which they can't.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    That's an interesting, and reasonable perspective Aspade. Still, it's genuinely disappointing that I would be forced to immediately spend $1,000 on new tires after dropping $40k plus on the car itself.
  • frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    "There is so little grip that it's though somebody accidentally mixed clay into their carcasses instead of silica."

Jigga wha?
  • lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    I don't see why people are making a big deal out of the name change. I don't see people screaming bloody murder over BMW's decision to change the 3 Series coupe to a 4 Series nameplate.

Looks are subjective, and I prefer this over anything else in it's class. I was invited to the Monrovia, CA Infiniti dealer for a first look and test drive, and the new Q50 handled much better than the IS350 or 335i in my opinion. Perhaps the newly paved roads in the area prevented what Edmunds is reporting as too harsh of ride, but the car had excellent driving dynamics, and the interior/ exterior design is just what I would want in an intro luxury car.
    @herrstreet- The same could be said for the A4, 3 Series, & C Class. Minor exterior changes keep the car from looking too dated. Porsche and BMW are perfect examples of this. You maintain the appeal of it's targeted buyer (me), and unless a car like t
    @quickster- Hyundai is the #1 copy cat in the industry. They stole the design from the G coupe and called it the Genesis coupe, they stole major design cue's from BMW to make their Genesis and now Equus sedans, and the obviously ripped off Mercedes when
  • expert7expert7 Member Posts: 1
    Nice design, but stop enlarging - I'll buy a M if I want a bigger car. Also - Corvettes have used runflats with very few issues since 1997, they saved me from crashing in my 2004 when I tire quickly lost all pressure so I'd rather have runflats.
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Disappointing results. I was hoping for handling and steering feel to rival the 3-series, but this trim doesn't seem to do that. My G35 seats are OK, but totally pale in comparision to my wife's Fusion seats. The Q50S has some faults to correct...
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    I think that this renaming game is a mistake for infiniti. The G was well recieved, popular in it's segmant and has a history and faithful following. I would think that the confusion alone is not worth the risk. Nice enough car, though.
  • fe5295929goefe5295929goe Member Posts: 2
    niss_lover, umiru bolno.
  • fe5295929goefe5295929goe Member Posts: 2
    lions208487, diaff thx.
  • AJT123AJT123 Member Posts: 0
    What was so "unsuitably awkward" about their old naming system? Infiniti started the whole thing! Other than Lexus, which used two letters, in 1990 there were no cars that I can think of off the top of my head that used the "letter" naming system. This has got to be the worst marketing fail since the renaming of the Sears Tower!

Great looking car however! Hopefully they refined the V6 so you don't feel your fillings rattling out when you near the redline, though.
  • shadow101shadow101 Member Posts: 2
    Some of the blame for a lack of manual gear box must lie with the dealers. I looked for a manual trans G35 and then G37 and there were none in San Diego County. Lately, I've been surprised that one manufacturer or another has discontinued manual gearboxes in that I never knew they offered them in the first place. If they'd let people know they're available, people just might buy them.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    except for the complaint about the tires (how does a manufacturer let it get to this point anyway--anyone drive the thing?), it looks pretty good. I don't know why they are changing the names of their cars--just confuses dopes like me that just figured out Lincoln's nomenclature. 'G' and 'M' were good enough. There used to be a 'Q' but it was a bigger car. Alphabet soup...

Anyone else see a snaggle-toothed face in the steering wheel/dash photos?
    @fe5295929 8765309...etc. STFUFE, thanks champ.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    Sorry, I stopped reading the article when it said the car would be automatic-only.
    Rename the Q50 as "Skyline". We speak english, so why can't we have the same name the Japanes home market enjoys?
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    the people complaining about the tires don't understand the the average infiniti owner is just going to buy the cheapest tires in that size they can get their hands on or will turn in their lease before the tires are halfway worn. Infiniti is making a smart move by choosing tires based of of tread life and moving to a more relaxed car design the "sport sedan" segment is very crowded right now and infiniti realized this and took a chance capitalizing on the lack of smooth riding compact luxurys.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Infiniti has successfully run into many problems. 1. If this $36k sedan is "The best dean we've ever built", and you've been in business for almost 25 years, you've got issues! If that's the case, then why buy the Infiniti M? 2. The car looks a lot like the Infiniti M, and is not much different in size, inside and out, so again, they are undermining their current "flagship", for lack of a better word. 3. They are keeping the old G37 around for what? Nostalgia? I can see keeping the G37 coupe, since this doesn't replace that. But the sedan? Really? Is the G37 sedan a fleet model with a contract that hasn't run out? 4. Changing everything to Q WOULD HAVE MADE SENSE 20 YEARS AGO! You had true a flagship sedan called the Q45, which you stupidly dumbed-down to the Q41. But who makes all of their vehicles names from one letter? Who ever built a great brand with that strategy? AMERICANS HATE THE LETTER Q ANYWAY! Infiniti has done just as bad a job as Acura, and has successfully ruined their brand. Now the only question is when will they give up, pack it in, and close it down. Acura and Infiniti are 3rd-rate, on their best day. Lincoln's future looks brighter.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    $42k for .79g? Not so much. There are SUVs that do better than that. The styling is starting to grow on me despite that hideous C-pillar. But the interior still leaves me cold. Mixture of Sonata and previous-TL center stack, and 3-Series center console. It doesn't look driver oriented, and I've seen pics where the two center screens are completely washed out in the sunlight.
  • skalsterskalster Member Posts: 1
    always loved Infiniti vehicles, and here im eagerly awaiting the purchase of both the q50 and the jx35 (or) qx60 hybrid...and the 1st review of the q50 talks about the de-merits of the run-flats...and the jx35 review doesn't talk highly about its CVT or uninspired performance, with the qx60 retaining it for 2014....why, infiniti, why - striking out on 2/2. bummer.
  • touriantourian Member Posts: 5
    Infiniti is playing the middle of the market where the money is. Women. Leasees. Tires that don't need to be changed as often and people who don't want to mess with a spare. Now they just need to get them and their husbands over the spare tire peace of mind mentality that turns some people off.

Most people upset about the tires are probably going to buy rims anyway or buy the car used. Infiniti is not worried about you.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    A 40k "sports sedan" should not be out handled by a 23k-30k Honda Accord. The Accord can even be had with a manual shift!
  • cyrus357cyrus357 Member Posts: 1
    DISAPOINTING that the handling is so suspect for a car that is supposed to succeed the G-Series. Power + Handling + Value is what made the G's and the M's so great. It was their biggest competitive advantage and even though most reviewers picked BMW's in comparo's they still had to admit that Infinitis handled just as well or better.

One of the best experiences I ever had in my G35 coupe was an old time racer sat shotgun while we lapped Thunderhill. When we were done he paused and asked "what car is this? really impressive. what a great handling car".....sadly, I doubt the new Q will draw that kind of response.
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    Wait until S edition gets tested. Tires can be fixed easily. Better than chasis, engine issues. I am interested how much trunk space is left in hybrid.
  • alex38alex38 Member Posts: 30
    On styling, sure the interior cues appears to be lifted from a Sonata/Cadillac. But SO WHAT, you can't patent style. So the innovative companies will simply move on and have other copy them. Many Japanese/Korean companies copied the BMW "Bangle Butt". Life goes on..

To me, it's a bit disappointing that Nissan appears to have lifted not only the interior, but that rear light cluster also conspicuously like the Sonata's too (Same with the 2104 Lexus ES/GS on Sonata tail lights). I like the styling of my 2013 Nissan Maxima, but I think Nisssan is moving in the wrong direction..
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    Despite Sonata copying some of its looks, you get that Infiniti is a LUXURY car, right??? This car just wreaks of premium style. I can't hardly believe its based on the plain Jane G37. And its a bit more masculine, too. I like it.
    I like the styling, and I even like the letter Q, but it occurs to me that this naming convention is most similar to Volvo's use of the letter "V" plus two digits. Is Volvo truly a benchmark for marketing success...?
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I like that interior, especially the IP with both gauges in one big plane rather than hidden away in separate tiny pods. The speedo is laughably mis-scaled, but the rest is nice. If I bought this the stock tires would be on ebay the moment I got home from the dealership and I'd order some nice non-runflat summer rubber.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Also I'm as much a manual fan as anyone else here if not more, but I'd rather have a very good automatic than a very bad manual, and I have to say even planetary-geared, torque converted automatics are pretty good these days, except when they're poorly calibrated to achieve some EPA number. But the basic hardware itself is good.
    @stoovt001: I agree the styling is good inside, and that the speedo to 180 mph is just ridiculous. Make more useable for typical speed ranges, and those trying for land-speed records can use more reliable after-market technologies.
  • jswissjswiss Member Posts: 1
    @niss_lover Hyundai's Sonata came out in 2010 as a 2011 model. The interior hasn't changed much since the new body style has made its debut. This is a 2014 model, not to mention of a luxury brand. I think you should check your facts a little more closely.
    @jswiss - You need to check your facts champ. The Genesis coupe ripped off the Infiniti G35 coupe, and the 08 G35 was obviously a major design factor for Hyundai. In addition, Hyundai copied the 5 Series with their Genesis Sedan, copied Mercedes CLS with
    After a little research and my own experience test driving the Q50 Premium model, Edmunds.com publishes false figures.

Run flats come standard on ONLY the base model and both Premium and Luxury models come equip with summer tires and not run flats.

If Edmunds.com had some integrity, and tested the Premium model with the summers tires it comes with, the figures would have been much higher.

Listen former insideline.com, we know you're in love with BMW, but even this post is beyond your biased viewpoint.
  • jkbmw550jkbmw550 Member Posts: 2
    While Infiniti is improving, at the end of the day, I can't justify spending $40k+. I'm a BMW and Audi guy and it would really take lots for me to get away from them. Unfortunately, Nissan/Infiniti shouldn't be compared to BMW/Audi/MB....but rather Acura/Cadillac/Lincoln. For now.
  • tgphillytgphilly Member Posts: 1
    The lack of grip really worries me. My current 2013 G37xS also has all seasons (Dunlop Sport Maxx) and they grip surprisingly well for non-summer tires with little to no squeal when you push them. Using both an iPhone app and a stopwatch to time, I've repeatedly logged standing 0-60 times of 5.1-5.2 seconds, so the 5.5 figure is also concerning, although this is likely a low-mileage car and the VQ engines do take a bit to break-in properly. My lease is up in February. If Infiniti plays ball on pricing, I'll probably end up with a Q50. If they aren't dealing I'll just get an S4 or 335i xDrive.
  • jerrysummersjerrysummers Member Posts: 1
    Who are you people.. You guys comment on cars like you know what your talking about. I'd like to see your house or apartment before you start commenting on styling. No spare no sale comment is funny as hell. Spoken like a true broke [non-permissible content removed] mountain 10 year old car owner who just wishes he could own one of these. The car is much better than the G. The Hyundai comments are stupid too... drive a Hyundai, get inside the car, not look at Car and Driver pictures, and you will see that they are no way alike. You might as well say, " The speedometer and tach are in the same place as every other car" So keep dreaming and keep your day jobs.
  • chet16chet16 Member Posts: 1
    I just moved from a 2011 G37x to the 2014 Q50x. Overall, I am extremely pleased. The NAV and related technology is fantastic. The engine is awesome and sounds beautiful. While I agree with the comment about the tires being week, that is an easy fix. The Q50x is also very well priced to its competitive set and slightly larger than the A4, 3 series, etc.