Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Hyundai

image2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a Long-Term Test of the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe and discovers poor ride quality.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    And yet it remains extremely popular and sells exceedingly well.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @vvk: I don't see how that's relevant to these complaints. It certainly doesn't excuse Hyundai from needing to make improvements for the refresh and next generation vehicles.
  • juwujuwu Member Posts: 15
    and vvk's comment tells you how much the average buyer considers styling and price over ride and handling. but truthfully how would the average driver be able to evaluate the suspension tuning shortfalls on a 5 mile test drive?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @duck87

This Santa Fe might be prettier, have more features, longer warranty, get a few better mpg on the highway, & better interior appointments than a comparable Pilot or Highlander, but suspension tuning seems to be one place where Hyundai falls

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Do all Santa Fe's ride this way, or just this one?
  • don_quixote_don_quixote_ Member Posts: 1
    @greepony. I have the same question. I checked the Santa Fe forum, but this is hardly an issue there.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    duck87, what I mean is that the worst cars are the most popular. By far.

Rough riding, loud, unreliable, expensive, unrefined -- millions buy them.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Guys...why do your cars continually pop TPMS lights with 4, 5, 6 psi underinflation readings? Don't you check these cars from time to time, for tire inflation, fluids, etc.? My cars never have tires underinflated like this, and I live in an area where temps vary much more widely than your area, but...I'm hardly checking them every two weeks or anything like that.
  • miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    Im VERY interested for a comparison between this and another Sante Fe. Hyundai couldnt have let these finish development with a suspension as poorly setup as you'll claim. I think there must be a defect with your vehicle.
  • dieselkjdieselkj Member Posts: 2
    Having read this review recently and being in the market for a lightly used Santa Fe, I was able to get a new 2016 for an extended test drive; no previous models years were available from my local dealer unfortunately. Similar loading conditions, 2 adults up front, 2 kids in car seats in the middle, and I loaded all the bottled water my wife had stocked up in the far back cargo area (3rd row seats up). I think I had at least 60 lbs of water. We proceeded to take the Santa Fe on the worst road in the area; it's basically one patched and un-patched pothole after another and it's a curvy road. We hit as many as we could and I was impressed. I'm sold that it's a non-issue, at least for the 2016's. I think I read somewhere that the suspension was retuned in 2015 (new springs I think) so I really do need to put a 2013 or 2014 through the same paces before buying one. YMMV.