Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Jeep

image2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Long Term Road Test

Comparing torque and power numbers of the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and newer Grand Cherokee models.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    4x2 Grand Cherokee diesel? What exactly is the point of a Jeep without 4wd? Crazy stuff
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    The point is you live where it never or very very rarely snows (Phoenix, Miami, Dallas, etc) and you never go off road more than the occassional meadow when hunting or camping. You do however tow a boat or other trailer and have need for an SUV type vehicle. In that case why spend a couple grand more for a capability you don't need that will also suck more gas?
  • seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    bankerdanny, why would this sunbelt person need an SUV? Wouldn't a pickup make more sense if towing was a priority? If not, a station wagon or van makes more sense than a Jeep engineered with weight and bulk for 4wd service but lacking the capabilities. Plus, 4x2 pollutes the Jeep brand, are the few incremental sales worth that long term damage?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    First, the vast majority of SUV buyers never even drive on a dirt road, much less a trail, and would be better served by minivans and station wagons, so what makes the most sense for the buyer really doesn't factor in.

Second, pollutes the brand? Really? You know that Jeep has sold 2WD vehicles for decades right? And how could a diesel 2WD Grand Cherokee pollute a brand that offers the Patriot and Compass?
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    A 4x2 Jeep meets the needs of many and it a necessity because of CAFE. @seppoboy "...pollutes the brand..." do you work in advertising by any chance? Just writing that phrase made me throw up a little in my mouth. This modern pigeon-holing everything and image nonsense is getting out of hand. On the subject of image, sunbelt folk drive SUVs for the same reason that nearly everybody else does; they don't want to be seen in a van or station wagon.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I would take a diesel Jeep in 4x4 for my off-roading because of the torque and they are so much more efficient at part load than a gas motor.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @seppoboy: Not sure where you get the idea that 4X2 "pollutes" the brand. It's not like the Wrangler went to independent suspension and 2WD all of a sudden.

Not everyone wants a pickup either, particularly if they have family hauling duties. Th
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I would consider a Grand Cherokee for family hauling duty (3 and a dog, and growing), for climate controlled cargo transport (tarping in a pickup bed is more of a hassle or undesirable), and for occasional cross-country towing. 4x4 is not necessary but certainly helpful in snow. And this SUV is one of the best looking on the market. Would I get the diesel or the SRT? Probably neither. The pentastar V6 is plenty strong, so that'd be my engine choice.