Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Kia Forte EX Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Kia

image2014 Kia Forte EX Long-Term Road Test

Listening to satellite radio in our long-term 2014 Kia Forte.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ra090909ra090909 Member Posts: 3
    My 2012 Sportage SX has terrible satellite reception. I have asked the dealer twice to check it, asked XM multiple times to refresh the signal. The only thing that seems to help is threatening to cancel my subscription, then some how reception will improve for a few weeks. Very frustrating actually. Most other vehicles I have been in don't seem to drop signal anywhere as often. No idea if it is a MFG problem or an XM problem.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    It definitely varies by car. My current car (Dodge) has more dead signal areas than my previous car (Nissan), when driving the same route.

Amazingly, the best Sirius reception I've ever had was with one of their early $99 dash-mounted radios. And with that one, I just had the little satellite antenna sitting on the shelf behind the rear seat. Worked better than any roof-mounted antenna I've ever had.
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Sorry, but XM has essentially no means of improving the signal on-demand. They might be able to re-direct the satellites over time, but that would affect millions of users at once. My friend's Sonata suffered from terrible reception, so I'm sure it's just a low-quality antenna. Do note that atmospheric conditions can affect satellite signal somewhat, so it can vary with time a little.
  • Options
    okbeartoyokbeartoy Member Posts: 34
    I seem to have more issues with vehicle with Sirius vs. XM, I know they are the same company but they use different satellites. The GM, Hyundai, Nissan, Lexus products that I have owned had very few if any issues.. Currently have a 14 Ford Fusion and it drops the signal at every underpass, same as my last two Mustangs and a previous Kia, all those had Sirius
  • Options
    dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    My Cadenza drops signal on my carport as soon as I get past a certain point. But then again strangely enough the beams around my carport are concrete and steel bars. Otherwise, signal has dropped just a few times in the mountains.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I thought the whole point of sat radio was to provide signal where regular radio fails. Also, I expected the article to be written by Mark, and was surprised to see it was Donna.
  • Options
    jrsfjrsf Member Posts: 10
    I have had both XM and Sirius equipped cars. I live in SF, and my two XM cars (Honda/Lexus) hardly ever lost signal, even downtown around the 40 story buildings. My partner's 2010 Mazda3 will lose its Sirus signal all the time. It's terrible. My 2013 Ford Edge is Sirius equipped and it actually holds the signal very well, even downtown and in tunnels. It's definitely very vehicle dependent.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Where does Kia usually mount their antenna compared to other car makers? Also cobryson's idea of the low quality antenna is also very very likely.
  • Options
    arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    My TSX has certain spots that it loses signal, but I know other people with Nissans and Jeeps that have the same issues in the same spots. It is definitely frustrating, but that is why I won't pay more than $5 each month for the service. I love the product but not enough to pay full price!
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    It's never happened in my Hyundai Veloster that I can ever recall.