Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Lexus GS 350 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Lexus

image2013 Lexus GS 350 Long-Term Road Test

A review of the steering in our long-term 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    There is a range range of assist I can tolerate between light and heavy, as long as good feel comes through. Going from my G35 to my wife's electric-steering Fusion is a nice change, because while light, decent responsiveness is there and it feels luxurious.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    When I try to read the audio review on the SLS, the jump takes me...here to the Lexus GS350. Get a grip on it, Edmunds.
  • Options
    fullrunxifullrunxi Member Posts: 5
    You might check the links on the long-term main page, the "read complete story" link for the B&O sound system on the Mercedes directs to this page.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    If you click on the link at the top "2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG: Audio Review" it goes to the right place.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    As jederino said, I like good feel and responsiveness. The general rule of the past was that an overboosted setup robbed of feel, but now we've got systems designed to make it seem heavier without actually giving more feedback (see cars with steering adjustment). So basically, I just want the steering to give me some information, weight of steering wouldn't be on the forefront of my decision.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    As quadricycle said, there's a difference between "assist" and "feel". Some cars seem to have lots of feel, but very light steering (which I can deal with), but it's appalling that there are cars with hefty steering but don't communicate what the tires are doing- what's the point? Granted, much of this comes down to suspension and tires, but the way some EPS systems are tuned doesn't help.

The only other thing that bothers me about EPS is the fact that sometimes the level of assist changes depending on vehicle speed- I'd prefer it didn't, or at least had more linear progression.

If the GS had steering feel and linear/no assist change, I'm OK with that!
  • Options
    natnutnatnut Member Posts: 6
    Just set it to Normal/Sport mode and the steering feel should be fine. This razor sharp steering occurs only in Sport + mode when the driver wants to do some canyon carving.
  • Options
    majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    Put it in Sport+ mode. Problem solved.