Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Lexus GS 350 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Lexus

Comments

• alex4515alex4515 Member Posts: 29
    Option A - engine is ugly because the cover hides it. Why put un-necessary effort and expense into something that 98% of the owners will never see?
  • alex4515alex4515 Member Posts: 29
    Adding to my post above - I don't agree that this is the best option - I'd rather see a nice looking engine without a plastic cover on top - but what I wrote above is how I imagine Lexus looking at it. "Making this crappy plastic cover is cheap and easy, and that way we don't have to engineer the engine to look half-decent!"
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    The plumbing and wiring is just utilitarian and ugly. I guess that is a small price to pay for the efficiency and performance we enjoy these days.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    The only carmaker we've seen with a nice engine bay are the Audis. Nobody else really does it, and with emissions equipment and such poking all over the place, do you blame them? The plastic cover itself is there for heat and NVH control (at least for the newer direct injected lumps- take a cover off any N20 BMW and marvel at the giant brick of foam under the cover).
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Ford does a good job with their engine bays too.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    Is the spare tire area in a car ugly because there is a cover or is there a cover because it is ugly?
  • camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    I prefer function over aesthetics. It's an engine. I don't care if it looks pretty, it should be designed to be easily serviceable.

It's something you don't have to worry about when you have a new car, but on an old one it becomes an issue if you have to take off a million things to change a simple part.
  • skinnygskinnyg Member Posts: 2
    this is ugly without the cover....the 1st generation LS400 had a beautiful engine from the top at least.....
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I think the cover is to stop nervous types screaming "SNAKE!!" whenever the hood his opened. :)
  • majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    I actually don't mind engine covers as I like my engine bay to look tidy. My new GS 350 F-Sport's plastic cover is pretty plain looking though especially compared to its competition. Oh well, at least the car competes well in the areas that really count (like handling and acceleration). I really feel like Lexus hit, if not a HR with the new GS, at least a solid triple.
  • tsdriver27tsdriver27 Member Posts: 24
    NVH, DI is noisy.