Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1996 Lexus ES 300 Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Lexus

Comments

• yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Wow great service! Take all your old cars to him if needed.
  • zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    Can't beat that price!
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You had vacuum hose issues before, and that other commenter pointed you in that direction...can I ask if you tried to check out the vacuum hoses yourselves before taking it to a shop? This is supposed to be a low-budget operation with this car. Great that the shop owner did this for nothing - he sounds like a keeper.
  • noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    better put him on your christmas list! how many bad/loose vacuum hoses have you had so far?
    I think if I were the typical owner they are trying to channel, I would buy $10 worth of vacuum line, grab a set of sidecutter pliers and replace everything. It would take about 45 minutes and end this death of a thousand cuts (see what I did there?).
  • rm2008rm2008 Member Posts: 31
    fordson1, I took a quick peek under the hood to look for any loose hoses, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm guessing the hose was deeper into the engine bay. -Ron Montoya
    Thanks for the reply - I hope this does not keep popping up for you, since all of those hoses are of the same vintage...old. I like this car and think that basically it's a keeper.
  • benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    That's nice of him. I notice in the picture the corner of a Mercedes W140 peaking out; as someone who owns one, I figure he gave you the hose for free because he makes a killing off that W140 owner.
  • mdj61254mdj61254 Member Posts: 4
    As the unfortunate soul who got to spend $180 for the vacuum hose leak, wanted to let everyone know that several shops told me I had to go to a facility that had a "smoke machine" that could identify the location of the leak. Apparently the leak was allowing the fuel vapor management system to "depressurize" which caused the system to throw a code, or at least that's what I was told!
  • zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    mdj61254, I don't think you're unfortunate at all. I used to own a 1991 LS that would cost me $700 to $1,000 each time I brought it in. $180 is very reasonable for any type of luxury car.
  • bhysjulienbhysjulien Member Posts: 5
    Customer service! Kudos to A&M Motors and Mr. Garcia!
  • bhysjulienbhysjulien Member Posts: 5
    Customer service! Kudos to A&M Motors and Mr. Garcia!
  • sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    Wow, that was nice. I'm guessing that the problem must have been very obvious for him to not charge for diag time.