Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com provides a fuel economy update for its long-term 2014 Mazda CX-5.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Pretty impressive. You're basically matching what you got in the Impreza which is a less useful and less entertaining package (although probably a better AWD system).

This view highlights a problem with many current cars and their treatment of fog lights. In the past, when you bought a car without fog lights, the blanks you got instead looked like you cheaped out. The round blanks were always so obvious...like "here's where your fog lights would go if you paid for them." Now, they've gone the other way. The blanks have become so sculpted and stylized that the fog lights actually look out of place when you get them. On the CX-5 the little round lights surrounded by the large triangular black form looks a little silly.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    The Impreza was a disappointment in general, as the CR-V and the Toyobarus average close to 25 mpg.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Also interesting how the CX-5 has all this technology thrown at it in the name of efficiency. Then there's the CR-V with virtually the same powertrain Honda's been working with for years and it matches the CX-5 on mpg.
  • uthikeruthiker Member Posts: 18
    Its all in how you drive .I have this very car 2014 CX5 GT AWD . My best MPG 31 80% highway 20% town. My worst 26.8 100% in town. I only have 2000 miles on it .... I think over time it will even get better.
  • uthikeruthiker Member Posts: 18
    Its all in how you drive .I have this very car 2014 CX5 GT AWD . My best MPG 31 80% highway 20% town. My worst 26.8 100% in town. I only have 2000 miles on it .... I think over time it will even get better.
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The links on the CX-5 LT page lead to the Dodge Dart, FYI
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    legacygt, I think the problem is the more the car is designed to be efficient and special technology added the easier it is to have the MPG drop by driving a bit more aggressively. It seems common with the more high efficiency cars for there to be a wide range of average mpg that people get. --- I know on my car if I practically hypermile it I can get 33 but if I have a little bit of fun I get 27. And that isn't lead footing it around that is just taking the on and off ramps a bit faster, a few more full throttle passes and merges and about 5-10 more mph on the freeway. And that's about a 20% change. I'm sure I could easily drop it down to the low 20's if I had a lot of 'fun' driving. --- So the Edmunds people don't have to be crazy drivers to end up with lower mpg out of some of these cars. -- I haven't noticed that drastic of changes from the cars that are more performance oriented (unless I have way too much fun in them)
  • hachourihachouri Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My new mazda 2014 cx-5 is averaging 18.5. I drive 90% of the time in the city with above 40C degree and AC on all the time.