Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

We take our 2014 Mazda CX-5 in for its first service

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    "They have solid outposts in the Valley, Long Beach and the IE, but nobody who lives on the West Side or Mid-City is going to go any of those places. Ever."

Why is that? Maybe if they did, they would see that you don't HAVE to pay over $100 for a simple oil change (yes I know this one was "only" $50 but that's an outlier). If I lived in west LA I'd go as far as possible to get my car serviced.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    That's $50 for full synthetic. That's pretty reasonable even outside CA.
  • empowahempowah Member Posts: 70
    Long Beach is a good hour away from West LA, so figure a full two hours spent for a round trip. That's sixty miles of driving, which will cost at least $10 in fuel and depreciation. Folks who can afford a $30,000 vehicle likely value their time at least $20 an hour, so it seems like a no brainer to stick with the local dealership.

The monetary and time costs are even higher for the IE.
  • irizeririzer Member Posts: 6
    I sent Mazda a couple emails on the USB problem as well as other issues. As you mentioned, they have acknowledged the issue and seem to be working on a fix. Although according to the reply, a ETA for the fix isn't determined, but my guess it will be after the Nav fix. Here is the response I got

"Thank you again for contacting Mazda. Yes we have received other complaints on this issue and are working on a resolution but do not have any expected time frame. We will have an update on the issue with safety lock which will be available in a few months. Please feel free to take your Mazda to your local dealer for your other concerns to make sure your system is operating correctly. I will document your feedback and your concerns for our corporate records. Let me know if you have any other questions."

In addition to the USB issue, I mentioned the following issues
    - Navigation randomly labels streets. These streets aren't always the immediate cross streets. I wouldn't mind what it labled as long as it labled the upcoming streets.
    - Safety lock is broken. When using voice commands while driving to enter an address, if I come to a stop, the nav unlocks and decides to reset the input I was entering.
    - Cannot set alert for a song or artist Sirius while driving. Seems pretty dumb, it is a 1-2 click operation. So if I hear a song I like, I can't tag it for playback if it is happens to come on while driving, which is like 95% of the time!
    - Cannot hit the button to see the second half of text for a song title (using usb, bluetooth, or Sirus) while driving. Not a huge deal, but still silly, it is a one click operation.
    - Cannot use USB to play songs from other apps such as Spotify. May be related to the first song bug, but it will almost always reset back to the first stored song when I start playing something using a different app. Also it doesn't label the screen propery.
  • subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    I am skeptical the dealer used the proper synthetic motor oil for this change.
  • jeisensc1jeisensc1 Member Posts: 59
    It sounds like Edmunds just ran into a few of the issues that early CX-5 owners have suffered with. And yet, 5 months later, Mazda must still be working on their fix. In the mean time, shoppers think twice before paying for the Technology Package: http://www.cxfail.com/2012/12/technology-package-malfunctions.html