Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Mazda CX-5 has seat warmers, but the unoccupied passenger seat one has stayed on continuously for days on end.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    Or would it be too much to ask to have a timeout range on it. That way if I'm running errands in the winter it is on each time I restart the car within an hour of turning the car off but if I drive to work with it on and it has warmed up by lunch time I don't need it to turn back on with the car.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    "Yes, there's a light I could have seen". Correctamundo. The way to think about this is that lots of people out there want it to reset, and lots want it to stay on. So instead of talking about measures that add cost and complexity (at the expense of all owners, just for your personal benefit), just do the easiest thing and press the button to turn it off. If we keep telling auto manufacturers that we can't tell a button is on, or that we need everything done for us, why are we surprised when manual transmissions and traction control buttons are on the decline? If we keep telling them that we can't even understand one button, why are we surprised that they don't make cars easy to work on for DYIers any more? C'mon guys...
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    My wife is an ardent seat-heater user and I regularly use the feature, too, but both of us are fine with it defaulting to OFF when the car is started. It's just like the radio. You turn it on if you want it.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    VWs turn off when the ignition is shut off, but they can be programmed to stay on. I imagine most cars can, but turning off at shut-down should be the default. And yes, if you had the car for a few days, you should have noticed it was on right away - anytime you take over a fleet car from other people who have been using it, you should be scanning the IP for stuff like this.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    My car has a rocker switch, but it's mounted on the vertical part of the center console that forms the armrest/storage compartment so it's mostly out of sight (you have to look somewhat backwards to actually see it, or at best 90 degrees to the right and down). There's been a couple of times I've had a passenger in the car and I forgot to check their switch afterwards, and the seat heater was left on. I'd prefer a momentary switch that defaulted to off when the car was shut down. At least the CX-5 has the switches and lights in the center panel so you have a better chance of seeing them if left on (even if the placement and lighting isn't the greatest).
  • rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    Quite a rant sir, bravo.

This vehicle would have already replaced my wife's 2011 KIA Sportage if it offered ventilated front seats. But the horror they might not turn off automatically is not something I am sure I could live with.
  • crunchy71crunchy71 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2014 CX-5 GT, and the seat heaters reset every time I restart the car.

I do notice, however, that it's VERY easy to bump and activate the seat heater buttons when you're using the little storage bin right below them, or moving other objects around in the cabin.

I'd suggest the heaters probably hadn't been on for days, that they do reset when you start the car, you probably just bumped the (very exposed) button in normal usage, and that if there's a design flaw, it relates to how easy the button is to unintentionally push, rather than in how it resets.