Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds long-term update of the 2014 Mazda CX-5 includes discussion of the CX-5's fuel economy through July 2013.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Should that be 24 mpg city, not 26?
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    3479 / 153.9 = 22.6. This is the second month in a row the stated total miles and fuel used doesn't calculate to the number stated in the update. I really like the CX-5 but I'm beginning to feel like it's real world fuel economy isn't that good. 22-24 mpg over mostly 3,000 highway miles? Please tell me they were uphill or something most of the way.
  • craigistcraigist Member Posts: 29
    I average 29-31 on my FWD GT whilst on fairly level highway miles. Faster speeds eat into it some, I'm assuming because of the boxy profile.
  • uthikeruthiker Member Posts: 18
    My 2014 GT AWD with 3000 miles driven mostly around town always gets between 27.5 and 28.2 MPG. My one hiway trip 30.1. This long term CX5 has different drivers all the time perhaps that's part of the less than stellar MPG. Also a first oil change at 10,000 miles is just WRONG. I've always done my first oil and filter at 1000-1500 miles in every new car I've ever owned.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @uthiker: I don't know about Mazda, but I know that Honda uses a kind of "break-in oil" which is supposed to allow piston rings to seat better/quicker, so it would benefit the car to maintain the first oil until its scheduled change. To be hones
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @duck87 - It always makes me laugh when I see someone ignore a manual written by the manufacturer's engineers, and the simple notion that times change and with it technology, to embrace something their father taught them on 60s-era machinery. But I know I
  • drvtimedrvtime Member Posts: 5
    Seems to me the bike wheels are out of the slip stream. The cross section of the tires along with the many spokes may be contributing to drag. Similar to the cargo net that some use in place of the tail gate on pick ups - the netting increases drag which lowers mpg.

My guess is the bike rack is a Thule which secures the bikes via an adjustable arm. Wonder if the mileage will change if the bikes can be better centered into the aero dead zone behind the car.
  • floridadanielfloridadaniel Member Posts: 1
    You basically have a Parachute on the back of the CX5 with those bikes. Why not do a mileage test that is fair?