Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Going with the larger four-cylinder engine in the Mazda 3 means slightly decreased mileage, but the performance payoff is worth it.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I'm sad that the blue engine cover is gone in the 2014. Must have cost an extra $0.50.

I think I'd get the 2.0. I have it in my 2013 and it's powerful enough. And the 2014 is lighter and has more low-end torque thanks to the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold they couldn't fit in the 2012-13.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    four grand for 30 horsepower is a ripoff
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I agree with bassrockerx, it is crazy that they make the bottom 2.5 engine model basically a step up in trims from the top of the line 2.0 engine model. I don't necessarily want all the extras you get from going up over the i-Grand Touring model. I just want the bigger engine.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    This is a $26K compact car, minimum, when equipped with this engine. Unless you really wanted all the options that Mazda bundles with the 2.5, it represents a pretty bad deal in my book. I'll stick with the 2.0.

If I had $26K I was willing to put into a compact hatch, I'm getting a GTI.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Bigger engine for me every time. Living in the desert SW means you run the A/C 8-9 months of the year and much of the area is above 4000' elevation. That's a lot of load for the small engine, especially given the weight of so-called small cars these days.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    WTF!!! Why does my logion not work on the SLP thread. What are you doing, Edmunds?
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Interestingly, European reviews generally prefer the 2.0l, saying it is smoother, quieter and revs more eagerly... I suspect this would make a more noticeable difference with manual transmission.
  • mlin32_mlin32_ Member Posts: 9
    Actually, the Europeans prefer the 2,2 litre diesel. The 2,5 litre petrol is offered in Australia but not Europe, where many countries tax based on displacement. There is a 1,5 litre petrol available in Europe though.
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    Those criticizing the extra cost forget that the S Touring has more equipment than the i GT. Mazda is not forcing anyone to get the upgraded engine, especially since the base i engine has more power than the Civic, Corolla, Cruze and many other cars whilst still weighing at the bottom of the class.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    mlin32, I am basing my comment on 2.5 offered in other Mazda models, such as Mazda6. There are countries in Europe that do not prefer the diesel. Not in Western Europe, obviously.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Edmunds certainly does have its favorites...they won't stop ragging on the CLA250 because it's missing its EPA combined rating by 2.8 mpg. This Mazda 3 is missing its EPA combined rating by 3.1 mpg, and they're like, "oh, we just need to drive it slower." I understand the current fashion is to criticize turbo engines for not getting their rated fuel economy, but when a NA engine misses by this much, everybody starts making excuses.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @fordson1: While I do agree with you about rationalizing mpg's, I hardly think that it is because of an anti forced induction conspiracy. This is why a spreadsheet with every car's fuel economy is so much better. No rationalization, no explanation. Just t
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    They jack up the price so much for the 2.5L Mazda3 that it costs about the same as a Madza6. Nuts.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    guy1974, I'm not forgetting it at all; that is the focus of my post. I don't want that 'content'. I just want the engine. I don't care if it has more power than the other cars on the list. They built a 'drivers car' and then dangled the good engine out on a line saying "but if you want this you gotta get gizmos!"