Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

This update on Edmunds.com's long-term 2014 Mazda 3 includes details on the 3's interior, specifically the car's many plugs.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "In total there are two USB plugs, one aux jack and one 12-volt outlet in the center console." Trying to figure out why your "total" would not also include the SD card slot I see sitting right in the middle of all the other connections.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    This is nice but I read that the new GM full size SUVs have 12 charging stations through out the cabin. No phone left behind.
  • nxtiaknxtiak Member Posts: 13
    The SD card slot is ONLY usable by the Navigation system, so it's moot to point out as a usable plug.
  • vevee004_vevee004_ Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2014 iTouring 5-door and it has two 12 V outlets and a media input (USB) in the center console. I do agree it's cleaner, but one problem I am getting is that the power cord for my phone is not long enough. I usually plug in my phone to charge and have it sit in a windshield mount, but the windshield is too far from the jack. I think it would have been useful to have one power outlet at least in the center display below the A/C controls.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    The i SV, i Sport, and i Touring with the standard radio have a second 12V port in the center stack, and only 1 USB (and no slot for the map data, obviously). The 12V in the armrest is unswitched while the visible one is switched.
  • nousernameenousernamee Member Posts: 6
    fordson1 give up already..
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    The Hyundai/KIA set-up is far superior, and better located.

e.g. In your Forte tester: in the middle dash cluster, low, and under a sliding cover. Cord-wise, that is a far neater solution.

Personally, I hate when these things are located in the center console (under armrest). Even Ford has finally clued-in on this point in the 2015 Focus, and moved it to Hyundai/Kia's location.
    Here's a photo to compare to:
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "The SD card slot is ONLY usable by the Navigation system, so it's moot to point out as a usable plug." Well, that's pretty damn stupid. My car also uses its SD card slot to load nav data...but it can use up to 32GB SD cards for media storage, too. So they put an SD card slot in the car and then purposely made it so that it can't be used to store media files?
  • caramelo91caramelo91 Member Posts: 13
    Psssh who uses cords anymore? It's 2014, just pair your phone via Bluetooth and call it a day.
    You still need a cord to charge with, so your comment isn't well thought out.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    If you're going to have these connections inside the center console, this is the way to do it. They're all in one spot, raised up off the floor, vertical and near the front of the compartment. My 2009 CX-9 is not laid out this well, particularly the AUX jack which is horizontal, on the rear wall and bottom of the console, making it very difficult to access when you actually have stuff in the console.
  • john786john786 Member Posts: 1
    Mazda removed the 12v outlet in the center for 2015 models so there is only one in the armrest. I don't know why they did it.