Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

Comments

• ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    The 3 is a sharp and sophisticated-looking car and the new infotainment system looks killer, but the blatant cost cutting of that segmented display to the right of the tach ruins it. If competitors like the Golf can have a nice MFD why can't this car which is now over 30K loaded?
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    It does the job.
    I guess you also don't mind prop rods instead of gas filled struts to hold up your hood. :-)

IMO it's an example of the seemingly small, intangible things that add to the enjoyment of a vehicle. To each his own I suppose. And one of the reasons I now drive a VW R.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I'd rather they cut costs on things that don't matter rather than things that do. I can't imagine caring about a prop rod vs gas struts.

Although I suppose with a VW you'll have the hood open so often that it might be rather more important. :-P
    Funny barich1. I was once skeptical about VW quality myself, which is one of the reasons I never purchased one over my always reliable Mazdas. But having owned one for over a year, I'm thinking that the quality nightmares that many people complained about maybe overblown or the result of just bad service practice on the part of the owner. I have not had one issue with my R, whereas I always found myself bringing in my Mazdas for annoying "quality" issues related to fit and finish. My Mazdas were always dead nuts reliable, but now I feel compared to the VW, under built and cost cut. The VW by comparison has been as tight as a drum and demonstrate good engieering and design everytime I drive it. Even changing a tire is an enjoyable experience because of nice attention to details like a well-designed sturdy jack, lug nut covers etc. Now I do only have a little over 17K on my R, so it's still really young. But the fact that nothing about my R has irked my OCD nature, counts for a lot.
    That said the newer sky-active designs appear to be really nice, but lack the power I look for.
  • pg123456789_pg123456789_ Member Posts: 3
    My GTI looked good on the surface, nice fit and finish, but was a box of rattle box, not to mention persistent electrical problems. Design-wise, glass/plastic on instrument panel (IP) like all VAG products slope down, collecting dust, requires constant cleaning, reflects sunlight, and always looked dusty and dirty. Why, when most car makers including Hyundai and Kia can slope their glass/plastic upwards. If you look at all the Edmunds VW IPs, they're all dusty, dirty and scratched. Also the exposed paint on the doors/door frames on light coloured cars show cost cutting.
    What year was your GTI pg? And how many miles did it take to develop those issues. I'm seriously interested. Not trying to pick a fight.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    barich1, Edmunds' 2010 GTI, their 2011 Jetta TDI, their 2012 Beetle TSI, their 2013 Passat TDI and their 2014 Passat TSI have been dead-nuts reliable and problem-free - I think among the 5 of them there has been like 1 unscheduled visit to the dealer.