Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

I like that the 2014 Mazda CX-5 will count its remaining fuel range all the way down to zero.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    14.8 - 13.1 = 1.7 gallons.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    so how much gas was left in the tanks when the other cars changed to "low fuel"? Did they have over 1.7 gallons or is their low range like Mazda's zero range? --- Mazda counting down to zero isn't any better than those that change to "low fuel" if they both do it around the same point.
  • fsunolefsunole Member Posts: 25
    You actually have more capacity then the 14.8. That is for FWD models. AWD models have a 15.3 gallon tank. This makes it so both have a theoretical range of 480 miles per tank at the highway MPG.

Don't rely on the CX-5's range to empty indicator too much though, as it will signal you are at 0 range with on average 2-2.5 gallons left in the tank. I filled up at 0 range yesterday in my FWD and it only took 12.28 gallons, so there was really about 2.6 left in the tank. At the 25.5 mpg I got for that tank, that's another 50 miles or so at least of range. There has been much speculation on the Mazda forum that the reason for the conservative gauge is to protect the engine from fuel starvation due to some of the more unique technologies that make it a Skyactiv engine.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @fsunole: I don't think it has anything to do with it being a skyactiv engine. More likely it's to protect the low pressure fuel pump in the tank from air exposure (in which case it might fail due to lack of cooling). I don't think the high pressure fuel
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    So you'd rather it show you zero miles when you have more miles remaining, though how many numbers is impossible to tell accurately and reliably due to the low fuel sloshing in the near-empty tank, rather than the accurate and honest assessment that your fuel is low and you should fill up?
  • uthikeruthiker Member Posts: 18
    1.7 or 2.5 left in the tank...Who cares its best to fill up when a quarter tank remains.
  • zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    ok... i have to ask. what is the point of this dumb obsession with running tanks as low as possible? is it fun or thrilling in some bizarre way?
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I agree, the range should count down to 0. My Acura does, although I have never gone below 10 miles to empty. My car seems to be very accurate so I don't take the chance. When it was at 10 miles to empty there was less than a gallon of gas left in the tank.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I'd prefer it was as accurate as possible, miles until the engine dies of fuel starvation, but a little on the conservative side. Not that I regularly run on a low tank, but I'd rather know were I actually stand. What's the point of this super accurate digital fuel meter if zero just means that you've hit the two gallon reserve? I bet some people do the exact same thing with this as they did with the fuel light, knowing that they've still got a little while after the numbers read zero.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @quadricycle: when you're getting down to nothing but vapors in the tank accuracy goes out the window. You may be reading that you have 1 mile left, and then you hit an incline, starve the fuel pump, and bam, there you are stranded and out of gas, with a