Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5 First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5 First Drive

The 2014 Mazda CX-5 now offers a more powerful four-cylinder engine that cures one of its biggest flaws. We take it for a test-drive.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• eurobobeurobob Member Posts: 0
    Hello... Mazda? Is anyone paying attention? Why do you still cling to the belief that people only buy manual transmissions to save money? Car enthusiasts buy manual transmissions and guess what... they also want the nice goodies like xenon lights, leather, AWD, nice rims, etc, etc. And most of all, they want the more powerful engines! Please, don't drive away your most loyal followers! Buck the trend of putting manuals in only the most basic of trims - you may get a lot more than 7% uptake and it would reinforce the image of a driver's brand. Especially since BMW is quickly vacating it...
  • blackadder5639blackadder5639 Member Posts: 31
    +1, eurobob! Mazda seems to think that only compact car buyers (Mazda 3 buyers, for example) want the manual and nice goodies! I don't get it.
    My Protege has the manual and the goodies and I expect the same for my next Mazda......if I get a Mazda....

It
  • openeyes1openeyes1 Member Posts: 22
    While giving the CX-5 a more powerful engine, MPG is taking quite a hit, especially AWD. It would have made more sense in these days of rising fuel prices that Mazda would have released the oil burner first, but then Mazda still hasn't figured out that there's a huge demand for 6 wagons/hatchbacks out there either.
  • sydtron_sydtron_ Member Posts: 3
    The Mazda guys at the Michigan (Grand Rapids) Auto Show flat out stated that the CX-5 is getting the diesel, so I'm taking that as a yes. Mazda is making the manual available on the Touring trim for the new 6, maybe they are looking to do that here also.
  • arekkosinskiarekkosinski Member Posts: 2
    Eurobob you are so correct about that. Or the fact that they only offer CVT transmissions. bottom line they restrict car lovers from options and only offer certain pre-defined packages.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    This would be a pretty fun crossover with a manual and the bigger engine. Unfortunately you have to build a sporting reputation (BMW) to get enough buyers in to try the manual. And if you keep dropping the manuals you won't get that.

The problem with really small sporty crossovers is that they're basically raised hatchbacks and you lose much of the utility they provide as they get really small (vs a sedan with folding rear seats) and below a certain size crossover you may be better off with a larger class sedan. Unless you are always carrying large boxes, of course. Even the best handling crossovers are only average compared to a nice handling sedan. I own a crossover with sporting pretensions and would rather have the wagon version which is not available here.
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    Mazda really can't make noises about being disappointed in the take rate on manuals when they don't offer the option in trim levels that cover 70% of their sales. My old 3 had all the options I wanted and a manual transmission.

I also think that getting 29 more horsepower and 35 more lb/ft of torque is a more than fair trade for 1-2 MPG loss estimates. In fact, it's hard to justify the 2.0 with that tradeoff. They should offer the 2.5 as standard, and the diesel as the power and fuel economy upgrade.
  • vladeze100vladeze100 Member Posts: 1
    As an owner of 2014 CX-5 (had it for three weeks), I can say that this is the best small SUV I've driven. I am impressed with the quality Mazda put into this SUV (I also own a Lexus and owned Audi's). I have to say, this SUV is so fun to drive and handles so well. If you are in the market for a small SUV, do yourself a favor and drive this and you will appreciate actual driving.
  • druezerdruezer Member Posts: 1
    Gotta agree with Eurobob. If I were building my own CX-5 I'd get the more powerful engine, AWD AND the manual transmission. No wonder the take rate for the manual is only 7% if you only offer it in the bare bones version.
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    If I'm reading this article correctly, the take rate for the manual was 7% when there was only one engine option available. Was everyone who wanted a manual CX-5 waiting for a different engine to pair with it?
  • hansmoleman007hansmoleman007 Member Posts: 1
    I was about to leave a comment about the manual transmission take rate, but Eurobob wrote practically verbatim what I was going to post. Unfortunately it isn't just Mazda that is under this mistaken impression. The handful of models available with a manual transmission from other manufacturers are also typically only available on the entry level model. It is maddening!

Manufacturers, if you're only going to offer 1 trim level of a car with a manual, make it with the most powerful engine and a decent number of options at a minimum including Bluetooth, satellite radio, and leather seats.
  • testpilot8testpilot8 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2014 Grand Touring CX-5 with the Technology package. Its roomy and comfortable and everything is well integrated. The handling is great for this type or vehicle. Power is more than adequate...I rejected buying a CX-5 with the 2L motor earlier for lack of power reasons. The mileage can actually be better than EPA...I got 35 mpg on a longer run that was 95% freeway at speeds of 60-65mph. Road noise is moderate...this is not as quiet as my Nissan Frontier (I was surprised) but quite reasonable.
  • nikomannikoman Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a loaded CX-5 2.5 and I have to admit something. Having come from 4 Audis in a row the fit, finish and overall drive-ability is premium considering the price. Best 30k I've spent on a new vehicle...
  • luvmazda1luvmazda1 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with eurobob.
    There are so many reasons I purchase manual and fuel economy is not the main one. I prefer to be able to work around poor weather drivers and have more control over the timing of gear shift doing so. If there were tan interiors other options available to me even in the smaller cars I would have been exceptionally happy. I did settle on the CX5, but with the boring choices available to me it did feel like settling when what I want is a manual with the touring options.
  • dollarandsensedollarandsense Member Posts: 1
    Can't wait for the 2.2 diesel! Read reviews from Australia looks great, but I guess the sedan version(Mazda 6) is going to get it 1st here. It is tough to hold off as really like the 2.5 2014 Touring AWD, daughter has one and she loves it also getting 29 mpg.