Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

Comments

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    Is the 6 louder on the road than a CX-5?
    It wouldn't account for the engine noise but I notice that the 6 comes with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires and those are a really loud tire (and not the best ride). They only have 3.9 out of 10 on the 'would you buy it again' on tirerack. Mazda has used that tire before and I'm not a fan. Best thing I ever did was replace them. The CX-5 tires seem reasonably quiet but they don't have enough ratings to show numbers on those at tirerack.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    The Mazda6 isn't the only CX-5 in a sedan wrapper. As I recall, the new Mazda3 is also built on the same platform. As a matter of fact, the 3 has the same wheelbase and overall length as the CX5 while the 6 is stretched.
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The new 6 is actually quieter than the old 6. I'd know because I had/have both fully loaded.

The 6 is the sedan CX-5 but with better interior materials, better BOSE audio system (11 speaker system vs the 9), sharper handling, better ride, more features and of course much better MPG and imho better looks. I'm very satisfied with my 2014 Mazda6 despite it lacking V6 power (which, I would have opted for regardless of MPG). I started with the CX-7 which is still one of the most attractive SUV's on the road (pre-2010 uglification) and Mazda has come a LONG way. The 2014 6 has little compromise.
  • gtiguy3gtiguy3 Member Posts: 12
    What "cx7lover" said. Mazda has made huge leaps in the past few years. Here's to hoping that, as they hopefully find a larger audience, they don't become watered down like the Honda product has as of late.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    How about it, Edmunds, add one to the long term fleet, it has been five years since your last '6'. You had two Sonatas in five years. I would consider this car. I like reading about some of the underdogs, like the Kizashi long term test.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    the new 6 is pretty good but local dealers don't want to deal for the 6 you have to pay sticker price or MORE. you can get a top trim competitor for about the same price as the entry model 6. mazda needs to either up its standard features next year or punish dealerships for not being competitive. Hopefully this strategy wont work once the "newness" wears off but this car has ben available since december so idk what is their deal.
    bassrockerx, I'm a fan of discounts as much as the next person. The local Mazda dealer here has several listed on their site at $2,500 off MSRP. --- But aside from that the dealers can't sell the cars for more than what people feel the car is worth. If you were selling your used car and someone offered you $10,000 but you knew that likely someone else would be willing to pay $12,000 within a week or two, because they'd prefer your car over the other options, would you sell it to the first person for $10,000 just because it is nice to offer people a cheaper deal? --- Unfortunately, the car makers have no recourse over the dealer pricing of the cars (except some say they can't advertise them below invoice without risking some advertising dollars) Even Saturn and Scion with their 'fixed pricing' couldn't do anything about pricing on the Sky or FR-S.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Bummer about the road noise, I can't imagine there are more than a few people who actually want that in their family car, and there are a lot of us who are actively irritated by it and will look elsewhere. It's certainly not a necessary component to a driver's car. I drove the previous Mazda6 and liked everything about that car except the excessive noise. Bought something else because we're on the freeway far too often to put up with it. After having owned a Civic, there will be no more loud-riding commuter cars in our garage.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I have a 2004 6 (V6), purchased new, and although I still really like the car one thing that I've grown tired of is road noise. It *is* somewhat surface dependent - I have noticed significant differences on the highway when surfaces change sometimes but the roads I travel daily it's pretty loud. I hope the new 6 is at least quieter than the 1st gen - I'd be happy with a noticeable reduction in noise from the one I have, even if it's not luxury car quiet. My heart aches every time I see a picture of the new 6 wagon, I can't believe I'm saying I have car lust for a WAGON (!!!!) but for that one I do. I'm geniunely sad that we can't have it in the US. I know wagons don't sell here, but I wonder if they would make a comeback with today's gas prices and if we actually had a decent selection of desireable and affordable ones.

Really, the one thing that seems to be a common complaint about the new Mazdas is noise. I wonder if it's really that bad or if it's just that everything these days is overall quieter so it's more noticeable? I think James Riswick mentioned it in one of the early posts on the long term CX-5, but I don't recall anyone else bringing it up about that long termer since then.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I have a 2004 6 (V6), purchased new, and although I still really like the car one thing that I've grown tired of is road noise. It *is* somewhat surface dependent - I have noticed significant differences on the highway when surfaces change sometimes but the roads I travel daily it's pretty loud. I hope the new 6 is at least quieter than the 1st gen - I'd be happy with a noticeable reduction in noise from the one I have, even if it's not luxury car quiet. My heart aches every time I see a picture of the new 6 wagon, I can't believe I'm saying I have car lust for a WAGON (!!!!) but for that one I do. I'm geniunely sad that we can't have it in the US. I know wagons don't sell here, but I wonder if they would make a comeback with today's gas prices and if we actually had a decent selection of desireable and affordable ones.

Really, the one thing that seems to be a common complaint about the new Mazdas is noise. I wonder if it's really that bad or if it's just that everything these days is overall quieter so it's more noticeable? I think James Riswick mentioned it in one of the early posts on the long term CX-5, but I don't recall anyone else bringing it up about that long termer since then.
  • jlh3jlh3 Member Posts: 14
    I have test driven this car in comparison to the honda accord sport. Can't say I really noticed a difference. The accord was also more comfortable to me. (seat space and knee room). They seem to drive in a pretty similar fashion.
  • subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    I am one of the few Nagare > Kodo styling folks out there. I like happy-looking cars. :D
  • cgramercgramer Member Posts: 0
    Is the "sport" button for the transmission part of the Technology Package, or is it only available on the Grand Touring? As far as I know, my Touring doesn't have one of those (and I don't have the Technology Package, either). I do love my 6, though. :-)
    @bassrockerx, I paid $23,500 out the door for my 2014 Mazda6 Touring (Liquid Silver) with the rear bumper guard and cargo net. Sticker price for that is $25,660 plus dealer fees. Using TrueCar.com and pitting two local dealers against each other helped a
    @jlh3 To me, the Mazda felt more stable than the Accord Sport. The Accord drove "smaller" or "lighter" to me, particularly the steering. It was a very nice car (my decision came down to the Mazda 6 Touring or the Accord Sport), but the
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @cgramer, TrueCar is a godsend, I really love that service. I was going to recommend it to bassrockerx after reading his post, but then you came in with real-world experience with that exact car! I will never buy another new car without using TrueCar or
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    The "Sport" button that holds the gears longer. Isn't that just the overdrive button?
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    Dunlop SP Sport 5000... Had those on my 2002 Mazda Protege5. What is with Mazda's decade+ love affair with these tires?
  • markmazda3markmazda3 Member Posts: 2
    @ s197gt; The SP 5000's just came back. The previous gen Mazda6 exclusively ran Michelin's, most of the other Mazda models run either Bridgestone's (horrible Turanza EL200's, Dueller's, RE050's), Yokohama's, or Toyo's. The Mazdaspeed3 has run Dunlops si