Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda MAZDA3 S Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2014 Mazda 3 is the Grand Touring version and costs more than expected.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    A CPO 328i Wagon with sport package and manual transmission.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I would be happy in a WRX but I'd have to be shopping the outgoing model to match the hatch.

Across Mazda's lineup the Grand Touring trim can be a difficult value proposition. But it's worse when you look at something like the CX-9 where you can spend 50% more on a Grand Touring car that is mechanically the same as the Sport. With the Mazda3 it actually isn't quite this bad. The $19K model has the 2.0L engine. If you have your eye on the 2.5L then the price of entry is $25K so your $27K doesn't look quite as bad.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    For that significant chunk of money, you could get yourself into any one of several midsize vehicles, most of which offer way better refinement and power at the cost of some features. Typically without much of a fuel economy penalty either. Some people just seem to want a smaller car though... Different strokes for different folks comes to mind.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    The dealer here regularly has discounts from $2,000 to $3,500 on the 3s. It makes for great sounding sale ads but it reminds me of GM where only when the cars were discounted substantially they were at a decent price.
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Wow, that's a lot of money. You're getting into the SUV price arena there. Nearly $30k is a lot of money for a car that will likely depreciate so fast. Looking at AutoTrader, there's lots of 2013s with low miles starting at under $12k.
    " Looking at AutoTrader, there's lots of 2013s with low miles starting at under $12k."- - - - In all fairness there was a major model change for the 2014s which always drops the resale for a short time of the prior generation. Plus just a couple months ago you could get a left over 2013 for around $14,000 brand new. -- In fact I just checked the local dealer's site and they have two 2014s on special for $15,800
  • marcuxmarcux Member Posts: 1
    Honda Accord Sport
  • caramelo91caramelo91 Member Posts: 13
    The only other car I would consider getting brand new for 27K would be the Acura ILX but at that point it would be comparing a base ILX vs a fully loaded Mazda 3. The ILX would have the puny 150 hp engine, and still get worse fuel economy than the Mazda.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    for $27k you're getting very close to 2008+ M3/M5 territory (although maintenance will certainly be much more than a mazda). There are many used and new cars with 4 doors I'd take over this 335xi or 335d, evo X MR, new WRX, focus/fiesta st, etc...
  • dougal1098dougal1098 Member Posts: 8
    This is a good question. I think you could get a Mazda 6 for a similar price, no?
    The question really is more of: What is more important to you, car size or features? or What is more important to you for the money, a loaded new car or a 'higher end' used car? - - - - If you want all the bells and whistles and like the size of the 3 then it is the one to get. If you want a bigger car more than a loaded car then get a more basic 6 or Accord without all the features that ran the price up on the 3 in the first place. - - - But, to me, that would mean the features weren't that important anyways so why look at the loaded 3 at all then?
  • notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    Can a 4 cylinder Accord come in at $27k? I'd pick that.... bigger, more refined, decent MPG.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    All of these suggestions are all well and good, and may be accurate, but the fact is, in North America, anyone who's seeking out a hatchback specifically, only has a handful of choices, and none of your sedan suggestions qualify. If you want a hatchback with available manual transmission, your choices dwindle even further to basically 5: Mazda3 (lower-trims); Kia Forte5 (upper-trims), Subaru Impreza, and if you're willing to go smaller still, MINI Cooper or FIAT 500.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    Not a Mazda 3, thats for sure.
  • auto4funauto4fun Member Posts: 3
    A new GTI would be really high up on my list of alternatives.
  • wheelmccoy_wheelmccoy_ Member Posts: 10
    I'd still get the Mazda3. The broad range allows Mazda to cater to entry level buyers and also flirt with the lux end of the business, without having to spin off a separate luxury division such as Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Well just a quick look at Ford I would get a nicely loaded Focus ST for 24 and still have money left over for mods.--- Then of course I found on auto trader this well equipped and rare 05 F350 Diesel Manual 4x4 RegCab truck for $13.5 so I still have enough money to pay to rebuild and bulletproof the engine and tranny.
  • fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    Considering that it is priced almost $4k less than the average new car sold in the US last year and the car has more features and better interior than many cars costing thousands more, gets great gas mileage, good performance, great handling, and excellent reliability.....why yes, I parked one in my garage 6 weeks ago.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    GTI, and I'd still have money left over. You'd have to really possess a fetish for optional features to load one of these Mazdas up to $27K. I'd rather spend the money on a quicker drivetrain.
  • camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    For 27k it's still better deal than a MB CLA.
  • cotakcotak Member Posts: 89
    GTI seems to come up in a lot of comments but if you equip one at a similar level how much would it cost?

The Focus ST is a big competitor. To me it's the only one really.

Others suggests bigger cars like an Accord. Great but not everyone wants a bigger car. If you are like most people driving only yourself to and from work most days is a bigger car like the accord required? And then there's still the driving dynamics. None of the bigger sedans are going to be as good.

As for used cars. Well there are lots of choices. But that's a different sort of buyer who goes for used.
  • trarmstrong86trarmstrong86 Member Posts: 46
    Yeah, they should've never issued this car with the 2.5 engine... left it for the 6.

One engine (2.0) three trim levels. $25,000 tops.

17" Alloy wheels as well (can't believe they have 16's given the high belt line.
  • ramohioramohio Member Posts: 15
    Mazda 3 has great value at every trim level. Even at 27K