Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds long-term update of the 2014 Mazda CX-5 includes discussion of the CX-5's high-altitude performance.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    HP loss is about 3% per 1000ft gain. Given that formula, it's interesting that you noticed the power loss at 8400ft instead of 5300ft (2.0L has 16% less HP than the 2.5L). I guess that speaks to the 2.5L's better delivery curve.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    hmm, I've never heard a cute ute powered by a 4 cylinder motor called a rig before..
    (i'm just jealous u got to go mountain biking while i'm at work)
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "HP loss is about 3% per 1000ft gain." I'm surprised it is as little as that. I drove a 160hp Isuzu Rodeo up to Cedar Breaks one time and the poor thing was pretty much DOA in terms of throttle response. The deer up there had nothing to fear as I could not catch them.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    @agentorange, the ~3%/1000ft figure assumes a standard lapse rate. It could have been that it was a hot/humid day in your Isuzu ("hot" being 59 degrees Fahrenheit minus 3.5 degrees/1000ft above sea level). To get a more accurate number, you'd ha
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @7driver. In that case I was there on a "hot and high" day. :) Right now in Las Vegas the density altitude at the airport is reported as 5500 ft, while the physical elevation is about 2200 ft. So, another ~9% gone simply because of heat.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    And there is the fact that the Rodeo was gutless down at sea level - it's not like you were starting from a baseline of adequate performance with that thing.
  • craigistcraigist Member Posts: 29
    The '14 and some '13s has a throttle kickdown switch that comes in handy for that kind of passing. If you push the pedal all the way, it can actually can go a little further and there will be a "click" you can feel. This drops the gears by 2 and zoom zoom you go...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    I read the power loss was felt long before 8400 ft elevation.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert