Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

I fell in love with our long-term 2014 Mazda CX-5's automatic transmission during my 900-mile road trip to Healdsburg, California, and back.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The older 2.5L seems more torquey but it feels slower to me. I would definitely opt for the SKYACTIV powertrain. I think the slowest application of the 2.5L engine was in the Ford Fusion. The 2011 I rented would rev hard but go no where.
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    It's funny, this transmission seems to generally garner praise in the automotive press but there's another site that did a long term test of the CX-5 (not a full year though) and they hated the transmission - said it always lugged in too low a gear for fuel economy and wasn't responsive. I tend to think that was an anomaly, as almost everywhere else I look it's one of the few automatics that writers seem to like. Let's face it, everyone these days tries to stay in the most economical gear for mpg's, but Mazda seems to have found a good real world compromise here. I'm so glad they didn't go with a CVT.

I'm interested in more commentary on the NVH characteristics of the CX-5. I've read it's not the quietest CUV around, especially at highway speeds (let's say 65mph), but is it genuinely loud - or just not "the quietest". Could you live with it over the long term, driving it on the highway every day or is it loud enough to be an irritation? For comparison, I have a 2004 Mazda 6 and one of the few complaints I have about it is road noise. I don't care if it's not Lexus quiet, but I'd want something quieter than what I've got now.
  • Options
    ruckusriderruckusrider Member Posts: 9
    It shouldn't be long before the Mazda 5 gets the skyactive/kodo treatment, I hope.
  • Options
    06scooby06scooby Member Posts: 3
    yeah I don't think you can go wrong with either. The CX-5 is nice and we enjoy our 2012 Mazda5 a lot. My wife and I are die hard manual transmission people, but Sky-Activ autos in the 3,6, and CX-5 would be my choice if forced to go automatic. They do it right.

They just go to show that you don't have to have a lazy final gear ratio and top gear programming that requires a phone call for Al Gore's approval to downshift (GM I'm looking at you!) to get good fuel efficiency. Most American's end up driving with a heavier foot to compensate for a lazy transmission which nets the opposite effect.

I'd say, unless you are looking for lower price, no need for AWD, and you don't care about the 3rd row jump seat for xtra kiddo's time to time, the CX5 is the better choice. And it's auto/2.5 combo feels quicker than the Mazda5's combo. And if you stick with FWD the CX-5 will probably actually net better mpg's.

Now if you go for the row your own gears, however that's a different story. :-) With the manual, the 5 is a hoot to drive on top of car seats fit awesomely, the sliding doors rock and their aren't 50 million of them everywhere!
  • Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Minivan sliding doors are awesome with kids and toddlers. Especially automatic sliding doors.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    We seriously considered the Mazda5 for the sliding doors alone. They are indeed nice when you have kids. However, the old drivetrain in the 5 (particularly its less-than-stellar fuel economy) and just the generally outdated feel of the car eliminated it. We were just about to pull the trigger on a CX-5 when a great deal on the CMax (and a really good Ford dealership to work with) Swung us that direction. The transmission in the CX-5 was the standout for me too. It is simply excellent. The rear was a touch tight for a child safety seat though, which was another point in favor of the CMax.
  • Options
    dougal1098dougal1098 Member Posts: 8
    The CX-5 has a great engine and transmission for sure. I personally believe they are the strong points on the car. With that said, the Mazda 5 is one great little car. It has the same handling and fun factor - without the same engine and transmission - as the other Mazda's. The big win for the CX-5 and the other sky-active engines is their gas mileage, which continues to impress.
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    We had a 2006 Mazda5 for 6 years and it was a great car for our family of 4. Second row captain's chairs kept the kids happy, while the third row was great for "in a pinch" guests. We had the sport with the 5 speed tranny. It was reliable and a hoot to drive. The only reason we got rid of it was because of mice. After countless attempts to get rid of them we finally gave in. The only reason we went with a CX-9 was because my wife wanted a change and wasn't too keep on the updated design with the wavy side panels and tail lights. The CX-9 is also a bit more rugged for those NE potholes. We lost about 3 tires and a few alignments on 5 due to potholes. Otherwise it's a great car and we really miss those sliding doors.